Tesco "2 for x pounds" when reduced - Th

Options
Been to Tesco's tonight and picked up 2 packets of Finest crossants which had been reduced to 90p a packet (from £1.58 ish)

There was advertising saying 2 for £2.00 Save £1.18 - a quick bit of maths told me we would pay £1.80 and then get £1.18 off - bargain.....

Got home checked the reciept - both crossants are on there with reduced price but no further discount......:(

Was this a pricing error on the offer or has Tesco's system being changed to not "Multibuy reduce" already reduced items (as Safeway did right from the word go - which I remember when I worked there years ago).
What should I put in here that won't upset people.........

Comments

• emh_2
    emh_2 Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I fell for this a few weeks ago as well, I bought two things that were reduced and didn't get my extra discount for multiple buys. Went to customer services and they said they don't do that anymore, so asked for my money back.

Sainsbury's definitely do though! ;)
  • Jeryth
    Jeryth Posts: 239 Forumite
    Options
    I have seen this, and assumed (no, we shouldn't assume, but it seems I was correct) that 2 for £2 meant just what it said. You pay £2. OR you choose reduced price items and pay the stated price. Why assume that you would get a reduced price when it says £2?
  • Marigold123
    Marigold123 Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Asda cottoned onto that about a year ago I think, except for pre-packed fish, for some reason. Not sure if that's still current.

Somerfield still do it, which is brilliant if you go there 30 mins before they close and pick up some 20p bargains, (if your store does that?- mine does), and realise it's a multi-buy. It sometimes even pays to buy something you don't want and won't use, to reduce the cost of the rest of your shopping!

I love it when that happens! :D
    A penny saved is a penny gained
  • Del_Boy_Gupta
    Options
    I can confirm that from my experience tescos have cottoned onto this but it can still work in your favour if the right conditions apply.

As most of them now use the barcoded reduced yellow sticker for the item, this means that they can call the item something generic eg Hovis Best of both worlds bread becomes white bread and hence any multisave on reduced goods won't work.

However if the reduced sticker is just handwritten then generally they have to enter the reduced price then scan the item when you go to the till , which should still bring up the multisave.

In my store the policy only changed in the last week - prior to this the best deal i hever had was buy 2 packs of chicken and not only get them free but have a pounds worth of extra shopping on us!

;D
    Mark Hughes' blue and white army
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As most of them now use the barcoded reduced yellow  sticker for the item, this means that they can call the item something generic eg Hovis Best of both worlds bread becomes white bread and hence any multisave on reduced goods won't work.

The yellow barcoded reduced stickers don't call it "White Bread". They call it "reduced price Hovis Best of both worlds bread" - ie they contain the full original bar code plus additional digits which show (a) it's reduced and (b) the reduced price.

And the reduced item barcodes don't match the multi-buy codes so you don't get a further reduction.

Their approach is unfair though - it means you could pay more for 2 reduced things than 2 full price things, if they were meant to be BOGOF.

The Sainsbury approach - give you BOGOF, but at the reduced price - is far fairer. And if it's "buy 2 for £2" on things that cost £1.50, and they are reduced to 50p, you get them free. (2 x 50p - (2 x £1.50 - £2) = £NIL). :)
  • Ricardoro
    Options
    I have seen this, and assumed (no, we shouldn't assume, but it seems I was correct) that 2 for £2 meant just what it said.  You pay £2.  OR you choose reduced price items and pay the stated price.  Why assume that you would get a reduced price when it says £2?

Because one of the discounts is for bulk purchase and the other is for buying short-dated produce!!

Tesco should ensure that such items are clearly labelled if only one discount is available.. Trading Standards might be interested.

In fact I emailed Tesco 2 weeks ago about this but unfortunately their computer system failed and lost all that days messages.. and I couldnt be bothered to write it all again!

By the way, do you work for Tesco. or do you just naturally take the side of the big organisation against the small consumer??

;);)
  • wirm
    wirm Posts: 5,273 Forumite
    Options
    Their approach is unfair though - it means you could pay more for 2 reduced things than 2 full price things, if they were meant to be BOGOF.

As a Tesco employee who's job it is to reduce items, I can tell you that for BOGOF you will get an item free if if it says BOGOF on the packet!
    Why do you all think that just because its multibuy with money saved that you should get the items reduced and with the money off them? When a label says "money saved" this is not money that it is deducted, rather the money that you are saving from this offer!

You are being unreasonable to expect to get this amount off a reduced item!
  • wirm
    Options
    This has also already been dicussed here!
  • bunking_off
    bunking_off Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Options
    Well I had one of the "new style" Tesco bills last week (ie multisavings only broken out at the bottom), and can confirm that I definitely got the multisaving as well as the "we want to get rid of it" discount;

e.g. item at £1.70, 2 for £3
    marked down to £1.10.

Price payable for 2 was £1.10 x 2 - (£1.70 x 2 - £3), ie £1.80 total.

...this was definitely the case as I always check these things (numbers above are illustrative - have shredded the receipt since), and skinflint that I am I never buy anything for the freezer other than from that particular part of the store.

Could this be something that varies by store, or even by whichever operative marks down the price?
    I really must stop loafing and get back to work...
  • wirm
    Options
    Could this be something that varies by store, or even by whichever operative marks down the price?

Nope a memo was sent to all stores about this. I cannot disclose the contents of this memo though because it was confidental. All I can say is that Tesco are continually monitoring the reduced items situation..... :-/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure