Options
124»

Comments

• Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ali1972 wrote: »
    I swim a lot too. It's worth asking if your local pool do a saver deal for regular use. Pay as you go at my pool costs £3 but instead I can actually get unlimited use for 6 months for £90 if I pay in advance for a swimsaver. Even if I just swam twice a week that would save me £54. As it is I swim much more than that so end up saving something like £400 a year. Most local authority pools do something like this. With some it is saver cards, others have loyalty cards where your 10th swim is free etc...

Trouble is, my use changes a lot - sometimes I'll go three times a week, sometimes I won't go for months...I guess, on average, I go once a week - which never makes the swim passes worthwhile. I do buy 10 sessions at a time, though, which saves something like 40p a time.
  • foreign_correspondent
    Options
    My OH keeps muttering about joining the gym again - I keep pointing out that if he mowed the lawn and dug the borders once in a while he would get some excellent exercise for free...

Its not working though!:rolleyes:

I walk the dog, which is better then the gym because the gym cannot use emotional blackmail to get me to go and exercise every day, whatever I feel like and whatever the weater - the dog manages to get me to do it though!

You could always put an ad in the local shop and walk someone elses dog for a few quid!! - that would be very OS and again, you would feel compelled to keep going! ;)
  • she_grinch
    she_grinch Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    I was given a womens bicycle for free and had it checked over, each time I rode it (short spells round the block) daily to get used to it , I was so sore underneath I could hardly sit down.
    I then invested in an expensive gel filled saddle and the same problem!
    I have also tried my husbands saddle (different shape) same problem!
    I have seen some special shorts with padding and wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem and has tried these shorts and if they are any use as they are expensive.
    I really want to start using my bike regularly for the exercise and for fun but at the moment there is no fun element for me!!!!
    Are some women just incompatable to bike riding as a constantly bruised pelvic bone and serious bruising/chafing elsewhere is not funny at all
    Pucker up and kiss it Whoville! - The Grinch:kiss:
  • foreign_correspondent
    Options
    the sore bum is often just due to being a new cyclist - it does get better with time - part of the problem is that your legs will not support much of your weight until they are stronger, so all of your bodyweight is on your sit bones...

It depends on how heavy you are too - but if its any consolation, it does get better the more you cycle! (regularly)

If its any consolation, my bum kills me (yes, ouching when trying to sit down, tears in eyes, the lot!) for the first week or two, then it gets easier and after a few weeks it is comfy!!

You may want to buy a decent leather saddle (Brookes) as they mould to your bum shape!

I would suggest you try cycing round the block daily and gradually building it up.

If you want the padded shorts aldi does them every now and again for about £8, but I dont like them personally!
  • she_grinch
    she_grinch Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    I have been trying it regularly (and painfully!) for 6 months and it is getting no easier which is why I wondered if the shape of your pelvis is different!
    I run and have musclely legs so this is not the problem and my job involves a lot of heavy lifting so that keeps me toned and fit.
    I am not overweight so this is not a factor either.
    Pucker up and kiss it Whoville! - The Grinch:kiss:
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is strange that it's not getting any better - I, like fc, feel sore after the first few rides after a break, but it's fine after that...I don't know if you'd benefit more from doing a couple of longer rides, might help your body get used to it better than several short rides...
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Options
    I have to shift 10 kg in the next 3 months.I am also shockingly out of condition. Following on from the calories burnt by housework and having sciatica I am going to try and do what I started a while ago I am going to get active during the equivalent of ad breaks. If I plan to do 20 minutes of additional activity each hour during the day then I can burn an extra 600 calories during the school day. Even conservatively saying I do an extra 300 calories a day - that is 3/4 lb lost every week. As I get fitter and lose weight hopefully I will be able to do more.

shegrinch - go to a good local cycling store and get a good saddle, properly adjusted. Also have you tried padded shorts?
  • Mutter_2
    Mutter_2 Posts: 1,307 Forumite
    Options
    Ohh now I am spooked - I have just gone on map my walk and it came up with a map of the world. I randomly clicked on the UK and the town thatcame up was my town, ohh big brother is watching me!
    It's reading your IP address. Mine is hundreds of miles away from where I live which rather makes a nonsense of tracing members by their IP address.
  • Lois_and_CK
    Lois_and_CK Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The padded shorts help to a certain extent, but it's not a nice feeling having all that padding around your 'areas'. Gets very warm :rolleyes:

As others have said, you do get used to it and after you've been cycling regularly for a while it doesn't hurt anymore. Try spinning - now that's a killer on the bum!

P.S. Patchwork Cat - love your signature!
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Options
    The padded shorts help to a certain extent, but it's not a nice feeling having all that padding around your 'areas'. Gets very warm :rolleyes:

As others have said, you do get used to it and after you've been cycling regularly for a while it doesn't hurt anymore.

It is really true, you do get used to the saddle - eventually. I have always hated padded shorts, but what I do use on very long rides (like day rides) is padded knickers. That way you can still wear normal clothing, a skirt for example or cool cotton shorts or slacks and avoid the sticky lycra feeling.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure