undialed 0909 numbers on phone bill

Options
Hello all. Was hoping for some advice regarding a phone bill. I'm with justdial saver, and recently checked my bill to find that a 0909 number had been dialled 4 times costing almost £70!!!

I remember watching watchdog a year or so ago, and a few people also had large bills appear as a result of 0909 numbers. They found out it was because of the internet somehow. I have a feeling this may be the case, as the times of the calls are when i am the only one home and working from home on the internet. What do you advice I do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

Comments

• sammyy
    sammyy Posts: 478 Forumite
    Options
    Have you checked it here to see if anything comes up?This moght be of interest too here Do you use dial-up or broadband?
  • natjay_2
    natjay_2 Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    First question are you still using a dial up connection to access the inter net?

If you are on broadband have you left you dial up modem connected to your phone line,

If the answer to any of the above is yes then you should check your pc for a rouge dialler as this may be what is causing your problem
  • Schmo_2
    Options
    I currently have broadband. I don't think dial up is still connected. How can I check?

Also, how do I check for a rough dialer. As you can probably guess, I'm not that technically minded.

I also checked the ICSTIS thing, and it said the numer was under investigation and its address was in andorra. Does this mean I may be able to get a refund?
  • natjay_2
    Options
    Just type rouge dialer into google and you should find free program’s that will search your hard drive for a rouge dialer,

I take it your broadband modem or router is an external item, if so have you still got a connection from your phone line in to the back of your pc tower?
  • Schmo_2
    Options
    Thanks for all the help everyone. My modem is external and it is connected to the phone line from the back of the tower. I'm just going to check on google now. Any more advice?
  • BarGin
    BarGin Posts: 951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You might have more luck searching Google for a "rogue" dialer
  • natjay_2
    Options
    BarGin wrote:
    You might have more luck searching Google for a "rogue" dialer
    sorry I cant spell, if you search for what I said you will end up with rosy cheeks
  • abwsco
    abwsco Posts: 979 Forumite
    Options
    What anti-virus, firewall etc do you have. Would be worth reading Browntoa's thread in Tech Here
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure