We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Free mixed seeds from BBC 'Be Good To Bees'

Options

Comments

• horseykitty
    horseykitty Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I sent off for this - I was expecting some seeds that could be scattered at will on some waste land, verge etc.. that would produce a mixture of wildflowers that the bees would like. I believe it said in the 'blurb' on the site that you didn't need a garden to help the bees. Well, the seeds I received are sunflowers! Not exactly low maintenance - I don't have either the time or the space for these monsters. I'm disappointed and so are the kids.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    Options
    Just ordered one for each of my children. I should be getting an allotment soon so I'm going to plant some there as well as in the back garden.
  • sickboyedd
    sickboyedd Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    If you're keen on doing more to save the bees, I can highly recommend joining the bumblebee conservation trust

http://www.bumblebeeconservationtrust.co.uk/

You get a wildflower mix with them, as well as a wallchart for bee identification. I think you also get a book about gardening for bumblebees too. Not free, however, it's £16 a year...
  • Cinders2001
    Cinders2001 Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I received my Free Seeds the other day.......they were Sunflowers!

Now I know I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth but, I have Sunflowers coming out of my ears!!
    Our own sunflowers seed themselves every year and last year I dug out around 50 sunflowers every 3 days!! .... in a patch of ground 4' x 5'.

The previous years we let only 80 of them grow.
    Last year the tallest was 11' 4" not bad. Don't know what that is in new money.
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **
    ** Stay Safe **
  • horseykitty
    horseykitty Posts: 635 Forumite
    Options
    Giggling at the thought of you being engulfed by monster sunflowers Cinders - were you bombarded by squadrons of bees?
  • violetta
    violetta Posts: 2,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I received my Free Seeds the other day.......they were Sunflowers!

In that case they will be squirrel-attracting seeds as well. Our neighbours' grandchildren planted some the other year, and the squirrels were ecstatic once they went to seed.

One bit a whole sunflower head off and carried it along our back wall in its teeth, obscuring its head, so that it looked like a critter with a sunflower for a head scurrying along the wall :eek:
    A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion
  • jiggyquincy
    jiggyquincy Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    Brill giveaway!
    I used to work for a company who done a free flash game to highlight this exact problem if you want to try it heres the link
    http://www.t-enterprise.co.uk/flashgame/playgame.aspx?id=bee-day
    since i left my position they have revamped this game
    http://www.t-enterprise.co.uk/flashgame/playgame.aspx?id=beegame2
    both are just as good, so you should give them a try
    Free stuff is GOOD stuff :p
  • scottishlass
    scottishlass Posts: 1,971 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    lee2k9 wrote: »

Thanks for the post but this has been posted before http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1530279 Duplicated posts can clog up the freebies board. Please take a look at the sticky on ways to search. Thank you.

-- Merge request sent

2020 Mortgage-Free Wannabes #20 £1495.03/£2760 OP
  • InfamyInfamy
    InfamyInfamy Posts: 1,727 Forumite
    Options
    Great find! My daughter is designing a wild flower garden so these will be great! Thanks!
    :j
    Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!
    :hello:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family