Marbles to stop cashback

Options
Having got my Marbles card statement yesterday, there is a note that they are going to stop the cashback element of the card.
That was my one reason for using the card, other than a high limit, and got over £32 cashback on the account this month.

Just for info if that was a reason for anyone applying for this card.

Happy MoneySaving - but not with a Marbles card now!

Comments

• taxiphil
    taxiphil Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    Options
    Are you sure about this?

I've scoured my Marbles statements for Jan, Feb and Mar, and can't find any mention of them ending Cashback.

And on the T&Cs on their website (http://www.marbles.com/html/legal.html) the Cashback is still there with no mention of it ending.
  • martin1018
    martin1018 Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    I'm certain that it applies to me! Now that you've mentioned that you have seen nothing, maybe Marbles are being selective.
    My statement, page two, dated 10th February 2006 states;

"Notice of Variation

Important changes to your Credit Card Agreement
    We are revising the Credit Card Terms and Conditions applicable to your Agreement.

Cashback
    With reference to clause 12(f) of the Terms and Conditions and after careful consideration, we will stop paying Cashback on your account with effect from your next statement date."

Maybe the fact that I paid little interest, but got a bit of cashback, hurt. I bet that they still made more from me than they paid to me.
    Never-the-less it would seem from 'taxiphil's comments that the withdrawal of Cashback is being undertaken on a selective basis.
  • taxiphil
    Options
    Just wanted to bump this one back up to the top, as I find it interesting that Marbles are stopping cashback for some customers but not others.

My spending pattern is the same as the original poster martin1018 - I've always cleared the full balance, never paid a single penny in interest, and got £40 cashback by putting all my spending on the card. Yet they haven't stopped my cashback. I'm worried that they might, though.

Any other Marbles customers out there? Have they stopped your cashback too?
  • martin1018
    Options
    So why not ask them direct I thought! :think:

So here is the secure message that I sent Marbles, I will post the reply when I get it. I hope that it is an interesting rather than a 'fob-you-off' reply.

"I was recently advised that I was to loose the cashback facility on my account. I assumed that this was as a part of a general reorganisation of benefits to marbles customers. However it appears that I was mistaken and that not all customers have had this facility removed. Would you please advise me why I was one of those to have the cashback removed and what I have gained in return? It seems to me that I have had no benefit from this move, and I am deciding whether I need a Marbles card at all! I await your reply."

Has anyone else had their cashback removed, as I can't believe that I am alone in this - or am I. Do I feel a conspiracy theory coming on? :confused:
  • martin1018
    Options
    And here's the reply;

Thank you for your recent e-mail. We are committed to providing as many of our customers as possible with benefits and services that they value. We have decided to concentrate on providing enhanced benefits that provide even more value for money than a Cashback scheme. One such benefit is the new marbles Travel Service that enables our customers to get an extra 8% off any Thomas Cook holiday and all holidays from 150 other tour operators. Details of this year round Travel Service were enclosed with your February statement. We are currently in the process of changing all our advertising material. From April 1 2006 new applications for a marbles credit card will not have Cashback available. We apologise for any dissatisfaction caused. Kind Regards Customer Service.

I would suggest that everyone has the removal of cashback coming to them, given the gist of the reply. Gradual removal, possibly in order of signing up, and as stated no new customers will get the benefit. Make hay whilst the sun shines!!
    Certainly there is no comment on my being alone in the removal of cashback. Who knows, its a rather ambiguous reply. And cashback is far more valuable to me that 8% of a, probably inflated price, Thomas Cook holiday. :mad:
    Now to close the account! :p
  • ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    martin1018 wrote:
    And here's the reply;

Thank you for your recent e-mail. We are committed to providing as many of our customers as possible with benefits and services that they value. We have decided to concentrate on providing enhanced benefits that provide even more value for money than a Cashback scheme. One such benefit is the new marbles Travel Service that enables our customers to get an extra 8% off any Thomas Cook holiday and all holidays from 150 other tour operators. Details of this year round Travel Service were enclosed with your February statement. We are currently in the process of changing all our advertising material. From April 1 2006 new applications for a marbles credit card will not have Cashback available. We apologise for any dissatisfaction caused. Kind Regards Customer Service.

Pure spin. Nonsense.
  • Careful_ly
    Careful_ly Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Capital one dropped the cashback for some customers but not others early last year.

Egg money pays 1% but only upto £200 per year
  • vwman_3
    vwman_3 Posts: 688 Forumite
    Options
    My OH had her statement yesterday, no mention of ending cashback.
    Aiming to be debt free....but still off target
  • taxiphil
    Options
    Well done martin1018 for taking the time to question them about it.

But their reply was such a cop-out - they completely failed to answer the key question: why are some customers having their Cashback ended and not others?! They said that applications made after April 1 2006 won't have Cashback but this doesn't go any way towards explaining why existing customers like yourself had their Cashback stopped.

Why oh why can't these companies give a straight answer to a straight question?! :mad:
  • martin1018
    Options
    Their apology for 'any dissatisfaction caused' didn't get them very far. :mad:

I sent them a secure message last night to close the account, and whilst it may not mean much to them it certainly makes me feel better. :D

Thanks to the various forums on this site I don't really need, or indeed want, the 10k of credit that they were allowing me to owe them and pay them interest for.

So - "Up yours Marbles!!" :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport