not sure what to do about buyer

Options
Last saturday I sold an item for £20 or so inc postage. I stated in my auction that I require paypal payment within 5 days and if paying by cheque then buyer to contact me within 3 days.

5 days go by and no payment or contact so i sent another invoice and also a message asking when payment would be made, i was polite and said that if there were any problems i am a reasonable person etc etc.

So i get a reply that day saying that he was sorry, he tried to pay by paypal but it wouldn't work so he has been in touch with paypal who promised to sort it out by the 16th (yesterday) I have still not received payment or heard anything more from him.

I have just sent him another message saying that there are obviously still problems with his paypal account so could he please send a cheque to arrive with me by tuesday.

I have no idea if the paypal story is true, but my issue is that he could have let me know that he had a problem rather than waiting for me to chase him up, i would have been more inclined to give him extra time that way. There is nothing in his feedback to suggest he is dodgy so i don't know what to do next.

Another thing is the value of the item i sold. I was watching identical items before i listed mine and one sold for around £5 and another for around £8 so i was very surprised when mine sold for £16! Could this be a factor?

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    possibly.

after seven days you are entitled to raise a NPB dispute, and at that point you are no longer obliged to sell the item to that person.

if they reply to the NPB even stating they will pay, you can close the dispute and get your fees back. if they don't reply you have to wait 8 days then you can close the dispute and get yours fees back. if the latter happens, you can neg them without fear of a retaliatory neg under new ebay rules.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure