Paypal help please - accepting payments

Options
Hi

I have sold 4 items on Ebay just now, 2 people have paid and the payments have gone through Paypal. The other 2 items are pending in Paypal. When i click on accept to accept he payments it says i must upgrade my account to a Premier Account to accept them. If i dont want to upgrade i must refuse the payments. I have to pay extra for every payment i receive or something like that.

Why is this? What does it mean? Do i have to upgrade then? If i refuse i will obviously annoy my buyers. Any help would be great.

Comments

• finc
    finc Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Options
    They must have paid using a card instead of funds from their paypal account. You can only accept card payments if you have a premier account. If you intend on doing a lot of selling you'd be best to upgrade.

Edit...just to add if you have the paypal sign on your auctions to say you accept paypal I don't think you can refuse card payments and choose to only accept balance payments. Ebay changed some of their rules a while ago (obviously for the revenue!!).

Worst case scenario if you refuse the payments, you could have a stroppy buyer who may start the none oerforming seller thing with you. If you don't want to accept the payments you could always appeal to their good nature and ask them to pay in some other way.
    :smileyhea
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,314 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Like finc says a basic account can only accept payments from an existing paypal balance, you cannot accept any other payments however funded.

If your auction said that you accept paypal then you must upgrade to accept these paymants, you will need a premier account. Unfortunately a premier account means you will pay a fee on every payment you receive in future, but it is the only real way of accepting paypal as a seller on ebay.

Upgrade quickly and get the payments accepted as the buyers may become annoyed if their items are delayed. When someone pays by paypal they would expect their item usually in about a week.

Personally I would never suggest it is a good idea to ask your buyer to pay by another means, this is a common scam and whilst I am sure you are a good genuine seller you don't want to be thought of as a scammer. The scam is that buyers are 'persuaded' to bid on the basis that they can pay safely by paypal, at the end of the auction the seller contacts them and explains there is a problem with his paypal account or something, so could they send a cheque. The seller gets the cheque and does a runner...it happens a lot so would look suspicious.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure