Using telephone extension as intercomm?

Options
Hi,

I've got an outbuilding which is unfortunately outside of the range of my DECT phone. It does have a working telephone extension connected to the main house. I can pick up the phone and talk to the person in the outbuilding. The trick is how to signal the person in the outbuilding to pick up the phone.

Are there telephones around that has a function to "page" all the extensions - similar to the page function on a DECT phone? What is this function called?

What other alternatives are there? I thought of getting a PABX but it sounds a bit of an overkill for what I want to do.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• MickKnipfler
    Options
    Try dialling 175 and hanging up
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi terence,

I'll move your thread over to the telephones board, where hopefully you will get more replies.

Pink
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Try dialling 175 and hanging up
    I think that's changed now to 17070, press 1 for ringback and then hang up.

Both phones should then ring - so the caller waits until the callee picks up - and stops the ringing - before picking up to speak.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you get a slight ping from the phone when someone picks up the other one? Do that a couple of times

Actually Heinz' idea is better, but let it ring only once otherwise you'll both be waiting for the other to answer an ordinary call, then both pick up
  • DonnyDave
    DonnyDave Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Options
    A mega phone! lol

"Your tea's on the table dear!" :rotfl:

How about a two-way radio?

Have you tried putting your DECT based station on the windowsil facing your outbuilding? Maybe upstairs if there's any other obstructions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure