Saving money when renewing car insurance with online companies (eg. Elephant)

Options
When getting your renewal quote from your car insurance company, don't assume it's a good quote, based on what you paid the year before. You can save a LOT of money by doing a quick bit of double-checking.

For 2 years on the trot now, Elephant.co.uk have sent me a renewal quote, and I've gone online to double-check their figures. Now their online system doesn't let you get a 2nd quote, as you already exist on their system, but you can get round this by changing your date of birth (make it a day before you were born, or a day after). This tricks their computer into thinking you are a new customer. Make sure all the other details you enter are the same as is included on the renewal quote they sent you (such as address, claims details, car details, etc.)

If the final quote is cheaper than your renewal quote (and it usually is), phone the renewals line and tell them so. They will match that quote. Make sure you tell them that all the details are correct APART from the date of birth, they can then amend this when they bring the quote in.

I did this yesterday and got my renewal cost down from £740 to £440, yes, a £300 saving for 10 minutes work!!! It led me to think how many people just accept their renewal quotes, expecting them to be good based on the fact they were cheap last year, and also because they have had no claims since their last renewal.

If this system works for you, please let me know how much you saved!

:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport