IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

tax disc renewal issue

in Motoring
7 replies 8.7K views
my car tax disc expires today, i cant find the letter with the reference number you need for the online renewal but the website said i just need the document reference number on the v5 instead. after much hunting i found it but the website doesnt recognise the number, i tried calling the automated phone renewal service and that doesnt recognise it either! bearing in mind its saturday evening and theres nobody in the offices til monday, by the time i can call them its going to be 2 days late, i'm not going to get fined am i? surely they cant blame me for the number on the v5 they supplied me with being invalid? :confused:
Mummy to
DS (born March 2009)

DD (born January 2012)

Replies

• loaner wrote: »
    You could have gone to the post office, if you did it earlier. Keep it off the road, and go first thing Monday morning.

Looking at signature above i'm guessing its not top of priorities at the moment.
    If you have some of reference numbers and car reg you should be able to skip to the next page. I did mine online on thursday and only required one number and let me continue to next page. It worked properly as i got disc delivered today
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,
    it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • The probable reason why it won't accept your reference form the V5C/logbook would be that you have an old log book - the system only accepts the ref from the most recently issued v5c.

So have a search to see if you have another v5c lurking somewhere.

If not then you will need to keep vehicle off road from midnight tonight and then tax on monday at post office - they can use the ref off an old v5c as their system does not check this.

You have 14 days to tax the vehicle after expiry without receiving a fine, provided you keep vehcile off road. If it's on road then you could be fined by police etc.

Or see if there is a Post Office open on a sunday in your area, there is one where i live that is open on a sunday.

HTH

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • ps - in your post you say V5 not V5C. So if you are using the ref no from a V5 Registration DOCUMENT then this would probably be an old logbook. The most up-to-date logbook is called V5C Registration Certificate, which is 2 A4 sized pages.

HTH

x

• thanks guys but panic over, OH found the renewal letter so its done now - apparantly putting it in a safe place means hiding it behind the back of the sofa :rolleyes:

i've only ever had this one log book though so i'm going to ring the dvla monday anyway to find out whats wrong with it, save any trouble next time!
    Mummy to
    DS (born March 2009)

DD (born January 2012)
  • Do it earlier next time,and avoid the panic.

I did the wifes on Thursday,and like giggles_alot,it arrived today and now sits in the windscreen.
    That's my mutt in the picture above.
  • emlou2009 wrote: »
    thanks guys but panic over, OH found the renewal letter so its done now - apparantly putting it in a safe place means hiding it behind the back of the sofa :rolleyes:

i've only ever had this one log book though so i'm going to ring the dvla monday anyway to find out whats wrong with it, save any trouble next time!

If it's an old document then you will be asked to return it with a covering letter asking for a free of charge replacement and then you'll get an up-to-date one within 2-4 weeks.

When you ring make sure you have the document reference number with you.

HTH

x

• HintzaHintza
    19.4K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sounds like a trip to the PO tomorrow will be your best bet especially with the looming big day........good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals