Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Wireless burglar alarm - any good?

Hi All,
Have zero experience with alarms, but we're renovating our new house, so need a new alarm as the old one must have been fitted when the dinosaurs were around :)

I have heard about wireless alarms. Anyone got any experience of these compared to wired ones? cost differences? Pros/Cons etc.

Mess isn't really a factor as all the floorboards are coming up for the heating so wires could be hidden underneath there.

I have no clue:confused: so any advice is much appreciated:T:A

:ABeing Thrifty Gifty again this year:A

Replies

• diablediable Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    All I know is that you need to replace the batteries on a regular basis, if you can wire the sensors in then do that a once they are in you can forget about them.
  • jamtart6jamtart6 Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    thanks for the info diable.

im always loathed to ask professionals for info as im never sure if they are flogging me something i dont need!

• 27col27col Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Forumite
    I have had a Wickes Wireless Alarm which I fitted at least 15 years ago. It works perfectly ok. You have to replace the batteries in the sensors a couple of times a year. This is quite easy to do. The system flashes red lights when the batteries need replacing.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • johnozjohnoz Forumite
    135 Posts
    We have a completely wireless system installed about 12 years ago. Main alarm is solar powered, PIR detectors and door sensors all wireless, need to change the batteries only once a year or so.

So simply, no wiring, easy to fit yourself. I would strongly recommend them; several manufacturers exist.

Only one little niggle - our house insurance offered a discount if we had an alarm fitted, but only if we could show a certificate of professional installation! No such thing when DIY, of course.
    8.3K Posts
    thanks for the info. I think we are going to get a wireless one to save hassles. OH's friend is a spark so he could actually fit it for us.... :)

• Mutton_GeoffMutton_Geoff Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    our house insurance offered a discount if we had an alarm fitted

Even if you've got a professionally installed monitored alarm, I wouldn't take this discount. The day you "just pop next door" and forget to set the alarm, you won't be covered.

To answer original post, if the floor is up, I would install a wired system. It's easy DIY and you know the weak points in your house so you can tailor the alarm to cover those areas. Many people say "my shed bought wireless system has worked well" when what they mean is they haven't had an attempted burglary or (m)any false alarm(s). The only time an alarm is going to be truly tested is when there is a proper attempt at access. Thankfully those are extremely rare in most areas.

My opinion is that people who vote for their cheap wireless systems may just as well have a dummy box for the guaranteed protection a cheap wireless system offers as 90% of the effect of any alarm system is deterrent.
    Still puzzled after 17 years on MSE why people sign up and post to find solutions to problems they could have easily avoided by searching the forums in the first place.
  • latecomerlatecomer Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Quick question, how do you get the window sensors wired in without having to cut channels down the walls. I know when my folks have theirs installed the walls were not chased or at least not that I remember. Do you use the cavity and if so any advice on the best way to do it?

sorry to jump on your post jamtart :)
    8.3K Posts
    My opinion is that people who vote for their cheap wireless systems may just as well have a dummy box for the guaranteed protection a cheap wireless system offers as 90% of the effect of any alarm system is deterrent.

Hi Mutton, Why are they only 90% as effective? Not being pedantic, I'm genuinely interested.

Latecomer - hijack away :)

• diablediable Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    latecomer wrote: »
    Quick question, how do you get the window sensors wired in without having to cut channels down the walls. I know when my folks have theirs installed the walls were not chased or at least not that I remember. Do you use the cavity and if so any advice on the best way to do it?

sorry to jump on your post jamtart :)
    I think the idea is just to have zone'd motion/heat sensors wired in. I might be wrong though ;o))
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals