Reclaiming money attempts

I need help, please. In April 2005, I switched suppliers for the electricity from Manweb to British Gas. I thought everything was fine, however, in January 2007, I was informed that although British gas was receiving our payments, Manweb was supplying the power. As British gas refused to admit that I had an account with them, they wouldn't refund the money & consequently, I've had to pay over £1000 back. I have since found a letter from British Gas with my reference number on it. After contacting them, they have told me that I must recover the money from Manweb which I have attempted to do with no joy. I am in desperate need of this money, can anyone help...I've tried to contact the ombudsman but can't seem to get hold of them.


  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Surely you have proof you paid BG some money? :confused:
    Receipts, bank transfers, cheques written, etc

    You can't contact the ombudsman until you have raised a formal complaint with the supplier and allowed them 8 weeks to investigate & respond, or issue you with a deadlock letter.

    You don't need the ombudsman anyway. If you've paid BG money to which they are not entitled and they refuse to return it, sue 'em.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards