Dead Ends

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
5 replies 1.2K views
peter_the_piperpeter_the_piper Forumite
30.1K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
Is anybody else fed up with dead end web sites? I was trying yesterday to check out electroluminescent cable,as you do, on Google and others, got 'halfway' through the 39000pages and met a web site which did not allow you to back button to the search engine. I then had to start all over again trying to remember which page I was on. Don't these people realise that theirs will be the last site on my list?
I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.

Replies

• IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    21.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The BACK button has nothing whatsoever to do with the website - it simply calls up the last page from the history within Internet Explorer (or whatever browser you are using).  

Google did however have a problem yesterday with a virus which could be the reason for your problem.  See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3927963.stm

I never actually directly click on the links from a search engine instead try right-clicking and selecting 'Open in new window'. This will generally open the page in a separate browser window leaving the search page still available. Once you have had a play you simply need to close the new window and continue (also allows me to open several windows and have them loading while I am reading the first).

Ivan
    Ivan has left the building ... but reserves the right of reply!
    Use PM to keep in touch
  • Fatboy_NSSFatboy_NSS Forumite
    546 Posts
    Also sometimes sites have a redirect on their main page - ie you key in (or the search engine takes you to) a page with a short address, and it automatically redirects you to the main page. Therefore when you press back it takes you to the redirect page. Either press back twice quickly to get through the redirect page, or click the small arrow next to the back button and select the search engine from the list.
  • Dan29Dan29 Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never actually directly click on the links from a search engine instead try right-clicking and selecting 'Open in new window'.  This will generally open the page in a separate browser window leaving the search page still available.

Or hold Shift and click.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    And if you have already got to the web page via Google without opening a new window then open a new window using shift and left mouse click and use the new window for Google.
  • Fatboy_NSSFatboy_NSS Forumite
    546 Posts
    Or hold Shift and click.
    Cheers, didn't know this before! Learn something new every day...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals