my debt free diary.....time to make a change for myself and my boys!!!!

Options

Comments

• chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    if you are on a key meter, it is MUCH more expensive than if you pay by direct debit.

If you are moving into a new house, then i see no reason (assuming you are not in arrears) for you not to ask to have them removed, and go onto direct debit payment.s

definitiely BOTH of you start a spending diary, as losing nearly £250 a month from your pockets is a lot to lose.

And your OH needs to face up to the fact that he is a married man with two children he is responsible for and that their needs and wants come before having a flash car, going snowboarding etc. So he needs to sell is and get a family car, and if he wants to go snowboarding then he needs to earn EXTRA over and above what is needed to pay bills and debts to be able to afford to go on this extravagance.

good luck
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • TismE_3
    TismE_3 Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    Best advice re prepayment meters is get them removed asap......with you just moving you might have this option and not be charged in doing so.
    When i enquired about getting ours removed was told i had to pay to get them removed, not sure how true this is?? this was about two years ago before i became a DFW, and i just took it that i was stuck with them :mad:

They are a pain in the :eek: !

Who do you get your gas and lekky from now? and who services the new property, if they differ you could try asking your current provide to removed them as you want to stay with them.....once removed do a comparison and think about switching?
  • samboss0306
    samboss0306 Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    morning all.

i think it will be free if i get the key meter changed (thats what my local council said anyway) so i will defo do that when i move like you have all said.

im going to start a spending diary (cant remember who suggested that but thanks!!) then hopefully i can account for where the rest of the money goes. seeing as i pay over the minimum due on my ccs anyway i should be able to pay off a good sum when i account for the "missing" money!!

going to try and have another NSD today as i have the day to myself, DS1 is at school and DS2 is at nannys till after dinner so i can start sorting out my cupboards ready for the house move!!! :rolleyes:

i have told oh i will make him some business cards on the computer that he can keep with him as he wires up boilers in peoples houses so at least if they want any work done in the future they might consider him if they have got his business card.

thanks all. have a good day, at least the sun is shining today.
    xxx
    Savings in 2019 £0
    Total savings £19,118
  • Forris
    Forris Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning! Glad to see that you are getting to grips with things. Like your OH, I too am self-employed. I was told on Friday that I wouldn't be needed this week but I went in as normal today, just in case! Turns out they can actually manage without me today but its a trick that has worked well for me in the past. Anyway, the day will not be wasted. Going catch up on some paperwork and then put some old books and comics on Ebay.
  • samboss0306
    Options
    morning Forris. good for you for going in just in case. :D

it can be a pain in the !!!!! my partner being self employed sometimes as if there is no work we get no money:eek:

as we are moving house soon i have got to sort the attic out, it is full of baby and kids clothes,toys etc does anyone know if it is better to put on ebay as a bundle of clothes ie bundle of all the 0-3 months clothes then selling it all seperatly as sometimes they seem to make more money?! hope that makes sense.

i have kept all their stuff simply because i couldnt part with it (sentimental value!!) but i now realise that we need the money more so i must be strong and sell it to someone who really needs it rather then it rotting in my attic. i can then put it towards my debt!!:T

xxx
    Savings in 2019 £0
    Total savings £19,118
  • tryingtodobetter
    Options
    Regarding the baby stuff on ebay, I would bundle together key items such as babygrows and bodysuits and sell other brand name outifts such as Next, GAP etc seperatley. Hope that helps.
    Credit Card Debt
    2019 - £7520
    2023 - £1975
    Pay Debt by Xmas #29
  • samboss0306
    samboss0306 Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    thanks tryingtodobetter i thought it might be a good idea to put things in a bundle (saves countless trips to the post office too so thats moneysaving!!)

my oh has managed to get a private job changing someones mainsboard or something?!! :confused::confused: so that will be a bit more money to throw at the egg card, he got a £20 tip today so that went straight into my drawer as soon as he got in so he does not spend it and i can pay that towards cc :T

it is oh birthday in a few weeks and he even said to me today to not buy him anything as we dont have the money and apparently there is nothing he really needs!! i think he is coming round to this moneysaving lark:j

anyway supposed to be a nsd but i needed juice and bananas for the kidddies lunches tomorrow but that is all i have spent so feeling good.
    oh gets paid every wednesday so i can start paying our debts off a lot more as of this wednesday and i am soooooooo looking forward to it!!!:D

xxx
    Savings in 2019 £0
    Total savings £19,118
  • TurnaroundSue
    TurnaroundSue Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Options
    You can get 'free' business cards from prontaprint, I think that's the name. You have to pay for P&P. My friend had 100 done for her OH and I think it worked out at £3.50, which although is quite expensive for the amount, I think all the print, card and your time needed to print your own would far outweigh the postage costs. They were really professional as well.

Not sure if I have the right name, but google business cards and see what comes up.
    When you were born, you were crying and everyone around was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying! :rotfl:
  • samboss0306
    Options
    thanks again turnaroundsue, i was just off to bed but will check out about the business cards first.

i have just signed up to quidico (sp?) has anyone else joined and is it worth it?
    xxx
    Savings in 2019 £0
    Total savings £19,118
  • Forris
    Forris Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    Yes Quidco is worth it! Also, try Topcashback. Since finding these 2 just over a year ago we have made about £450, and I have become a bit of a cashback evangelist (or bore!) telling everyone I can about them!

Managed to list 49 items on Ebay yesterday. Tired fingers and eyes!

Went in to work again, just in case, and am now working for the rest of the week. I usually wear them down in the end, lol!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure