Is my 7 year old Daughter entitled to DLA?

Options
Hi All

my DD has a thing called itchyhyosis, eczema, and dermatitis, She is constantly on antibiotics (each time her skin breaks) and is creamed 3/4 times a day, She has steroid cream to be applied after her shower then is plastered in liquid/white parrafin = 75/25 then is wrapped in viscopaste bandages on her ankles, arms and legs, then tubifast garments are placed over these and they have to be kept moist!!! She suffers from terrible hacks over her hands and fingers (they are so bad that they swell and she cannot move her fingers to hold a pencil....the school are trying to get her a classroom assistant and a scribe) Hear ankles are the same, there are times when her brothers are being called out of their classes to lift her down the steps as she cannot bend/flex her ankle....its heartbreaking to see her sitting in class when all the other kids are doing PE or playing in the playground!!! She is not like this ALL the time though, but the majority to be fair!!

What do you think? I have pictures to prove that im not lying and her school will back me up 100%.

She also requires sleeping medication, as she scratches constantly, and believe me I have tried everything to stop her scratching....including taping on football socks!! She sees 2 different consultants each month....the next step is like taking the top layer of skin off and trying to regrow it:(
:jIm going to be frugal:j
:DIm going to be frugal:D
;)Im going to be frugal;)
Beetlejuice Beetlejuice...................:rotfl:

Comments

• kjmtidea
    kjmtidea Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Options
    Two of my children have severe eczema and I get dla for one of them, it was refused for the other - even though his is actually worse. I would definitely give it a try, I know how time consuming and hard work it is.
    Slimming World - 3 stone 8 1/2lbs in 7 months and now at target :j
  • mumoffour77
    mumoffour77 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Options
    Its tough going:(
    And there is nothing we can do for our kids!!
    I would rather have it than see her suffer!!
  • Hello mumoffour,

When applying for DLA, you need to show that your 7 year old needs more care than a 7 year old without your child's condition.

I would write to each of her consultants, and ask them to write a report of her care needs and routines. You could also ask the GP to do the same, likewise the school.

The more information you can send with the claim for, the easier it will be for the DM (Decision Maker) to decide on the claim.

When filling out the forms, it's best to get advice.
    Firstly there is Welfare Rights- normally part of your county council.
    Or Dial- a disability advice organisation, who are often staffed by disabled people.

http://www.dialuk.info

Or there is the CAB.
    All of these places will understand how the word your answers, which is important in a DLA application.

Don't be daunted by the size of the forms, a fair amount will not apply.

Good luck

Munchie
  • mumoffour77
    mumoffour77 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Options
    Many Thanks Munchie:)

Im going to ring on monday for a form!!
  • Carnation
    Options
    And if you are turned down, appeal. A very high percentage of appeals are allowed without any extra evidence or a medical. Send the form back with the most important information highlighted in red.
    Best of luck,
    Carnation
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family