🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Moon Palace Mexico - Can anyone help??!!

Options
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone in the know could help me!

I'm looking at going to Moon Palace in Mexico for 2 weeks all inclusive in October with my partner, but am thinking that First Choice and Thompson are not giving the best deals!

Ideally need flights from a London Airport if poss, and can't really be too much more flexible on date - although if that means big drop in price, let me know!

Can anyone help???

Thanks
xxx

Comments

• Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    www.eclipsedirect.co.uk were the cheapest place for a Mexico holiday for us. Also check their parent company www.firstchoice.co.uk

9 times out of 10 Eclipse are cheaper, but it's worth checking both just in case!
    Here I go again on my own....
  • charitygirl
    Options
    I have already looked at first Choice and Thomson, and I just looked on Eclipse and Moon Palace doesn't come up anywhere, and I really dont want to compromise on the hotel if possible!
  • geo555
    geo555 Posts: 787 Forumite
    Options
    Moon palace is a lovely hotel, but you are isolated. You are a 20 minute taxi ride from "The Strip"
    I went 2 years ago in May and it cost about £1300 each as a late deal. Anything around £1500 is a good price.
    Don't go with Virgin, as they you have to overnight in Miami and you lose a day.
    Make sure you are staying in "Nizuc" instead of "Sunrise"
    Nizuc is the smaller part, the staff are more friendly. Sunrise is Huge and full of americans.
    (".)
  • saveapenny
    saveapenny Posts: 6,773 Forumite
    Options
    about 1500 is the sort of price you should be paying for the moon palace booking this far in front anything below that is a bonus
    https://www.theholidayplace.co.uk/so_requestform.asp?OfferID=326 often has deals on that hotel The lowest I have ever seen it was 1200 on teletext but they would probably add loads of extra on top of that to bring it to Geo555's 1300
    If you look anything like your passport photo....Your too ill to travel
  • charitygirl
    Options
    Thanks guys thats great! I have found maybe £1450 with First Choice, so will keep looking around. I know the Moon Palace is isolated, but I dont really mind that, I just really want to stay at that hotel.

However, if anyone knows of any other Mexico hotels which are of similar type let me know (we are having a big blow out holiday before saving for our wedding and house and stuff!)
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    When we were in Mexico a couple of years back we met a group of people who had moved to our hotel as they had been disappointed with the Moon Palace and asked to be moved(generally they thought it wasn't much like the brochure had described and showing signs of tiredness compared to what photos showed). We looked at Moon Palace a few years back for honeymoon based on brochure descriptions and pics but went elsewhere in the end so may have been lucky escape but people evidentally still go there so can't all be bad.

We were at Occidental Grand Flamenco Xcaret. About 1 hour south of Cancun and more isolated but we couldn't fault the complex, huge with plenty of places to walk around without ever leaving the complex, right next door to the Scaret Eco Park too where you get free entry (or you used to). You are only a short taxi ride away from PLaya Del Carmen if you wanted a night out in somewhere with a few extra bars and clubs(and Cancun is only 1 hour and most operators organise coach trips up for nights out). We chose this hotel as our last big blowout for houses/kids too and don't regret it one bit, would go back again if we had the cash!
  • researcher
    researcher Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have to book now? It's still hurrican season in October so it's much better to book last minute when you see the weathers OK- or go in NOvember. For a 'last big blowout' I'd make sure my holiday wasn't going to be ruined by an 'act of God'.

We've been to Mexico a few times and I need to lookup the name of the best 5* we stayed in. Will post later.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    We're staying just outside Playa Del Carmen in April.

I did a bit of research in the area before we booked. I liked the Riviera Maya (from Playa Del Carmen down to Tulum) much better than Cancun. The beaches look a lot nicer and I liked the town of Playa. From what I have read, it sounds like Cancun has been built for American tourists so it's quite Americanised. Playa sounds much more traditional Mexican, which is what we wanted to experience. Just my views formed from my research, but thought I'd add it in case it's useful.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • lou29
    lou29 Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    Dont bother with this hotel I know it sounds great dont be fooled its not. Double jacuzzi in room yeh great everything else rubbish Beach disgusting, food dire menu never changed in the A la carte , rooms dated. Went here for my honeymoon last year as it sounded fantastic..its really not. I am going back in may next year but I am going to stay in the riviera maya. Closer to xcaret, xp-ha and chichinitza. Mexico has fantastic marine life stay in the moon palace and all you will see is seaweed. A double jacuzzi is no reason to stay at this hotel. There are far nicer hotels further down the coast where the beaches are fantastic. Cancun is an awfull place I would never visit there again. MOON PALACE IS MADE TO SOUND LIKE THE PERFECT HONEYMOON GETAWAY IT IS NOT. REALLY READ UP ON THIS HOTEL BEFORE YOU GO. THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS ARE SO TRUE. I JUST IGNORED THESE AND THOUGHT IT CANT BE THAT BAD ITS A 5* HOTEL ITS REALLY NOT IT IS MORE LIKE A BADLY RUN 3*. If you end up going to the marine and wildlife park Xcaret ( YOU RELLY MUST GO) stay for the nightly show fantastic experience.
  • martin_noble
    Options
    I also would recommend Rivier Maya, Playa Del Carmen. We stayed at the 4*Riu Yucatan, which I would recommend highly.

http://www.portland-direct.co.uk Try these for cheaper holidalys (they are part of the Thomsons group).

https://www.tripdvisor.com - is very useful for reviews.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport