»

Can I go a month without spending anything?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Can I go a month without spending anything?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
17 replies 10.1K views
MyLastFiverMyLastFiver Forumite
853 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
I really want to get some savings behind me, for when my DMP creditors get fed up and start demanding payment in full.

After paying bills and doing the supermarket shopping, I reckon I could go a month without spending anything else. Bike to work so no petrol to buy, take sandwiches so no lunches, bottle of wine from the rack on a Friday night...

Has anyone else ever managed to achieve this?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
My Debt Free Diary I owe:
July 16 £19700 Nov 16 £18002
Aug 16 £19519 Dec 16 £17708
Sep 16 £18780 Jan 17 £17082
Oct 16 £17873

Replies

• I think a month would be difficult because there may be unexpected little things that are needed.
    Try taking it a week at a time, the worst thing is to set yourself a big target like a month and then if you don't manage it you can feel like a failure.
    ...Linda xx
    It's easy to give in to that negative voice that chants "cant do it" BUT we lift each other up.
    We dont count all the runners ahead of us & feel intimidated.
    Instead we look back proudly at our journey, our personal struggle & determination & remember that there are those that never even attempt to reach the starting line.
  • BuffythedebtslayerBuffythedebtslayer Forumite
    16.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking about paying up my ostyer card(travel expenses), I take packed lunch and don't have to go out and then seeing how long fifty quid would last me, Feb been a bit interesting on the money front and March is looking quiet so far.

I might try the fifty quid thing. its all about (depressingly) forward planning.....
    Debt Free as of 26/07/19 (third time is the charm!)
    House Savings target 0/5000, H2B 3000/5400, General savings 700 a month
  • This sounds interesting!

I've been thinking along the same lines as you, one because I am never too sure what they are going to do and two because we don't own our own house so will need to save a bigger deposit as OH will have to take out a mortgage on his own (he has no debts!) ....just really need to save some pennies!

I think maybe taking a week at a time and updating your progress on this thread would be a good way to do it - little steps and all that ;)

Good luck, i'll be reading with interest. x
    No spend days for March = 3
    Money to joint savings 2009 = £100.00
    Money to personal savings 2009 = £0.00
  • BuffythedebtslayerBuffythedebtslayer Forumite
    16.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Last Fiver where'd you go?

After an especially crap day at work I have decided to give my self 50 quid spending money for March.

I NEED to get out of debt more quickly.

so I just thought I'd let you know really I know its not what you are doing?

but its similar and I am rambling cos I am hungry

cheers
    Buffy xxx
    Debt Free as of 26/07/19 (third time is the charm!)
    House Savings target 0/5000, H2B 3000/5400, General savings 700 a month
  • My Last Fiver where'd you go?

After an especially crap day at work I have decided to give my self 50 quid spending money for March.

I NEED to get out of debt more quickly.

so I just thought I'd let you know really I know its not what you are doing?

but its similar and I am rambling cos I am hungry

cheers
    Buffy xxx

Still here! I get paid on Thursday so I'm starting from then. Will post progress. Good luck with your 50 quid March thingy
    My Debt Free Diary I owe:
    July 16 £19700 Nov 16 £18002
    Aug 16 £19519 Dec 16 £17708
    Sep 16 £18780 Jan 17 £17082
    Oct 16 £17873
  • Ahh now you see im going to try this myself from friday. I think it can be done unless the unexpected comes up! Im going to make up a list of all the ways i can not spend money later.
    Debt for Tallie - JUNE 2009
    NATWEST LOAN......5000.00
    CREDIT CARDS........5000.00
    STUDENT LOAN.......7500.00
    TESCO CARD..........1000.00
  • doydadoyda Forumite
    48 posts
    Hiya,

Just thought I would add to this thread :)
    I have had an atrocious month of February sp determined that March is going to be THE month to start getting back on track. I have been saying this since Jan so this has to be the month - my stress levels can't take anymore lol the stress is all down to bad planning on my part lol.

Anyway I am going to try the no spend month in a sort of way:

£50 spends for the month
    £200 for food and petrol for a family of 3 +3 dogs and a cat

Total of £250 to live on for the month!!! Here goes.
    debt at LBM - £29163.15 :eek:
    October £10/day challenge - £465.30/£310
    October Shopping Challenge - £179.99/£200
    October loose change - £13.59
    Cashbackextreme - £15.08
  • HI All
    Just wanted to post some support. I've been doing this since the start of the year when I realised that I spend more than I earn ooer!

I've been keeping a track of everything I spend which isn't as laborious as it sounds, against a budget for all my train fares, food, snacks, petrol, etc. I've been amazed by what I've managed to save. It's just given me that extra will power to not buy something (I am a bit of a spend freak) and each time I spend money I ask myself whether I actually need it. My budgeting at the beginning of the month I work out what I need to buy in that month.

I think you need to be realistic though - don't set yourself up for failure - if you know your car needs servicing or you have to buy something for that important wedding/birthday etc then factor that in otherwise you'll just go mad in the following month when you have money available again.
    Anyway this is what has worked for me - hope it helps and good luck!
  • I really want to get some savings behind me, for when my DMP creditors get fed up and start demanding payment in full.

After paying bills and doing the supermarket shopping, I reckon I could go a month without spending anything else. Bike to work so no petrol to buy, take sandwiches so no lunches, bottle of wine from the rack on a Friday night...

Has anyone else ever managed to achieve this?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

I wasn't in any debt, still aren't thankfully, however in the 6 months from Jan 2008- June 2008 I managed only to spend £3.95 in all of that time. (bills and food aside), so a month can be done easily.
  • Wow ad9898, that's impressive! Way to go!
    For the most part we keep our spending in check (i.e. not accumulating any more debt and paying a little extra down) but I know we can do better. We can put more on our debt if we spent less on frivolous things. I think this is an interesting challenge, and although I don't want to avoid spending entirely for a month, I think I will set myself a target and stick with it.
    At the moment, our target is:
    20 pounds personal spend each for my OH and I.
    20 pounds couple spend (this includes eating out, nights out, movies, etc.).
    Total spending: 60 pounds.
    We use vouchers (like tesco clubcard vouchers) etc. to eat out, so this keeps our spending down even though we do go out regularly.
    Anyhow, this is a great idea and good luck MyLastFiver! Keep us updated on how your monthly spend goes!
    Debt at highest 01/01/2008- $79,385.32 :eek:
    Debt now 01/03/2009 - $63,194.72
    DFW Nerd Club Member #993
    Feb NSD challenge 9/10 days, Mar NSD 5/10 days
    Mar grocery challenge 221.02/250