Someone wants to buy our Shares but think its a scam - can anyone help?

Options

Comments

• Spud3030
    Options
    I have been phoned by Schneider Wolfe and they want to buy my Motion Poster shares, but they want me to send them 10% insurance bond and they want my bank details. Is this a scam? as I said to the girl on the phone take the bond value out of my shares and post me a cheque for the remainder and she said this could not be done. I need some advice as to what to do as I could do with the money but I dont want to get "burnt fingers" again as it was bad enough when the shares stopped trading and became worthless.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Spud3030 wrote: »
    Is this a scam?
    Yes, it's a scam. Read the rest of this thread!
    I need some advice as to what to do as I could do with the money
    There is no money.
  • musclesza
    musclesza Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    Spud3030 wrote: »
    I have been phoned by Schneider Wolfe and they want to buy my Motion Poster shares, but they want me to send them 10% insurance bond and they want my bank details. Is this a scam? as I said to the girl on the phone take the bond value out of my shares and post me a cheque for the remainder and she said this could not be done. I need some advice as to what to do as I could do with the money but I dont want to get "burnt fingers" again as it was bad enough when the shares stopped trading and became worthless.

mate, read the above posts, you might not want to believe its a scam as the reward may be massive but quite clearly it is

on the topics of scams.... My OH is looking to rent a place in london for her folks for a couple of weeks and I am sure someone who came back to her is a fraudster what steps can be taken?? It was rent at 27 a day for a place where the other apartments go for 160 a day website dodge etc does anyone know where to report it? I know this is unrelated -sorry about that
    Dec 31 2009 target: Currently have SAVED: £2963/£20 000
    Just another 17 037 to go
    Debt: 1700+1600 = 3300
    Savings: 2700+1100 = 3800
    Shares 2463
  • Reaper
    Options
    Unfortunately I have heard of a few rental scams around. In the end it's much the same whereby they want deposits, "security fees" or whatever paid up front. They may well have no connection with the property at all and be based abroad. Here's a few on GumTree to pick some random examples.

I'm not sure who you should report them to. The police I suppose if you have enough evidence.
  • DCMEP
    Options
    Schneider Wolfe called me last week wanting to buy my worthless Mercury holdins, ex-Voyager IT shares. Sent a disclaimer form and will now delete it
  • Reaper
    Options
    There's a lot of first time posters on this thread so I did a test in Google. If you type in "Schneider Wolfe" (with the quotation marks) then this thread gets ranked first.

I bet they hate that.

Hi, Schneider Wolfe, :hello:

:p
  • bunny999
    bunny999 Posts: 970 Forumite
    Options
    If you are asked to give them money before they buy your shares it is a SCAM.
  • Aljo00
    Options
    Just to let people know; it would appear they are at it again. Same scam wanting to buy your shares at an incredibly inflated price. They offered me over $100,000. This time the New york based company is Douglas Ellis and they wanted me to purchase Insurance at a cost of about £5000.

I,m just going to string them along for as long as I can.
  • bendix
    bendix Posts: 5,499 Forumite
    Options
    I would have thought it was blatantly obvious that anyone wanting to buy something you own yet asking you to pay upfront insurance is a scam.

Do what Aljo is doing. Play with them. Make up lies. Have fun at their expense.

These guys are no different from Nigerian email scammers. I've had literally hours of fun stringing those guys along, convincing them I have fallen for it, getting them all excited, and then sending them down blind alleys. Great fun.
  • Saviola
    Saviola Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Just been contacted by one such company.

They usually make you sign some kind of NDA so that they can allegedly get your share information verified. So you are not always aware of the scam straight off.

I am pretty sure the NDA's they ask you to fill out are nothing to worry about though. As soon as they ask for cash do a runner.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure