Cold calls from India selling IVA's.

Options
My call today was on behalf of Debt Advisory Bureau based in Leicester.

Does anybody else get cold called from India?

Comments

• Merlinexcalibur
    Options
    Oh, yes. Mostly it's from creditors. :D Just to pass this on, but the reason they do this from overseas is to circumvent those on the Telephone Preference List. It's to do with how our exchanges work in the UK. So they can put through these calls from international numbers, witheld or otherwise. Source of that info ... online and from BT's nuisance call bureau. In case anyone questions it.
    Any help, opinions, views I may hold those are my own. Respect them as you would expect the same in return. Offered freely, is gleaned from a lifetime of experiences, knowledge gaining. Passed on to benefit others. I may be direct, ask you questions but those are to help you. Up to you if you choose to take it. I won't judge you either way.
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Options
    If BT are aware of it, then I would hope they would find ways to stop it happening especially for those of us with TPS to stop this sort of thing!

Anyway, yes I get all sorts of "nuisance" calls from abroad. I just mostly ignore them.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • Merlinexcalibur
    Options
    If BT are aware of it, then I would hope they would find ways to stop it happening especially for those of us with TPS to stop this sort of thing!

Yeah, but don't or would have by now. It's our network compatability and gonna cost them more to upgrade it etc. As to TPS ... BT like RM just sells lists, how this cold calling occurs.
    Any help, opinions, views I may hold those are my own. Respect them as you would expect the same in return. Offered freely, is gleaned from a lifetime of experiences, knowledge gaining. Passed on to benefit others. I may be direct, ask you questions but those are to help you. Up to you if you choose to take it. I won't judge you either way.
  • bathgatebuyer
    Options
    I have had two of these today too. "Do you have more than £5,000 worth of debt?" No. Phone down. Each time it comes from an 00000 number.
    Almost debt-free, but certainly even with the Banks!
  • SouthCoast
    SouthCoast Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    Options
    My call today from India was from Debt Advice Bureau based in Leicester. Company policy is not to give out their address.
    Had to laugh as they told me to do an internet search on their name.
    Told me that they would delete my ex-directory number from their database..................the last guy said that!
  • SouthCoast
    SouthCoast Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    Options
    ..............and the Debt Advice Bureau call today was from a lady who has promised to remove me from their database....................
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Report them to the OFT and OFCom. please.

or write to their UK office and demand to be taken off their database
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • sporedude
    sporedude Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Options
    Who says its from India? Could be an Indian person living and working in the UK *Rolls eyes*
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have had two of these today too. "Do you have more than £5,000 worth of debt?" No. Phone down. Each time it comes from an 00000 number.

we used to get these 'calls' on a regular basis - it was a pre-recorded message asking us to call an 0870 number if we had debts of more than £5,000.
    They seemed to have 'stopped' but, by the sound of this thread they could be about to start again. :mad: :mad:
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • Mavis_Crewitt
    Options
    RAS wrote: »
    Report them to the OFT and OFCom. please.

or write to their UK office and demand to be taken off their database
    Do you have an address for the UK office? I've been getting these calls for over a year, and had two this weekend. I don't know how they got my number because I don't have any debts!

Every time they ring I ask them to take my number off their database, needless to say this isn't happening.

I've tried searching for the company online, but I can't find an address listing and the number calling me comes up as 0000000 or "Out of Area", so I can't report a definitive number to Ofcom.

It would appear that I'm destined to carry on receiving these calls indefinitely.

:mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport