Idea's for East Yorkshire and surrounding area

Options
Hi there,

It seems strange asking this as I've been living in East Yorkshire for a year or so now, but I'm looking for recommendations of places to go for day trips etc.

I'm having my Mum and 5 year old sister stay with me for a week in the summer, to give them a bit of a holiday and whilst we'll probably spend a couple of days just chilling at home I also want to get them out for a few days.

I'll be off work too, and have a car so transport is not really an issue. Just looking for things that will appeal to a 5 year old, 20 year old and 40 year old!!

Cheers,

Marc

Comments

• BargainGalore
    Options
    Scarborough. York (railway Museum or shopping) Bridlington
  • Bart
    Bart Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Hi try Eden camp, a second world war prison of war camp made into a museum. Well worth a day out.
  • Bev_White_2
    Options
    Ultimately, it depends on budget.

Flamingoland is well worth the cash if you are into Theme Parks. Good mix of rides for all ages and the zoo as well. Only drawback is it's going to be £23 each this year though we've got season tickets this year so will probably be there every other weekend.

If the weather's good, you can't beat the NY Moors. Goathland is nice and the Moors Centre at Dandy has a big play area and nature trails for the kids; but you will needs the weather.

York Railway Museum is another good one. Car Parking is expensive though so we always Park and Ride.

If the weather is really bad, try The Deep in Hull.
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the weather is good I recommend Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay - scenery, sand, boat trips and fish and chips.
  • gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How about Cruckley Animal Farm or the deep in Hull

We are off camping a bit further up near Scarborough and are looking at doing Flamingo Land, the North York Moors Railway and others. There is a good range of information in North/East Yorkshire here

Regards

GD
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
  • charliemaine1bee
    Options
    I live in Scarborough and there is loads to do...
    not sure of web addresses but sure google will throw them up..

Playdale Farm Park.-big thumbs up..
    Betton Farm..this is in our village and is lovely with a large outdoor play area.
    Little Hoppers...fantastic in bad weather.
    dalby forest is great for a day out especially if weather is nice..lots of walks and play/picnic areas..is approx £7 for the day but well worth it..

Not quite scarborough area but if you fancy a bit of a drive out theres a wonderful rescue horse centre in Bransby nr Lincoln.is free admission they just ask you make a donation.they have a picnic area as well.my kids loved it

Hope this helps..
    x
  • theladsmum
    theladsmum Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    Being a local, felt I had to respond!

No need to go as far as Scarborough or Whitby.

In Hull - good, free museums like Streetlife, Maritime Museum and East Riding Museum.
    The Deep is not free but fantastic. We go regularly.
    Hull city centre much improved over recent years, with all the big name stores.

For a 5 year old there are loads of soft play centres - Little Monkeys and Big Fun being the ones I remember from when my two were that age.

Just outside, go look at the Humber Bridge - for many years it was the longest of its design in the world. You can walk over it for free, cars pay a toll.

Beverley - lovely minster, and the town itself has loads of little shops, cafes, etc.

Spurn Point - a bit of a trek in the car, but worth it.

Hornsea - seaside, done up the front a bit in recent years, ok I suppose.

Honeysuckle Farm just outside Hornsea. Cruckley Farm a bit further towards Driffield.

York only about 40 minutes drive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport