IBAN and BIC fees

Options
I've read through the forum, but people seem to giving conflicting advice regarding the fees when accepting foreign currencies.

1. I will be receiving a large amount of money from a client in the US. Do I ask to be paid in sterling or US dollars?

2. Also, I am setting up my ebay business shortly and will be receiving worldwide payments of £10. Should I accept bank transfers in sterling or foreign currency?

Thanks

Comments

• DesG
    DesG Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    bode wrote: »
    I've read through the forum, but people seem to giving conflicting advice regarding the fees when accepting foreign currencies.

1. I will be receiving a large amount of money from a client in the US. Do I ask to be paid in sterling or US dollars?

2. Also, I am setting up my ebay business shortly and will be receiving worldwide payments of £10. Should I accept bank transfers in sterling or foreign currency?

Thanks

1. How large? if less than 10K maybe setup a Citibank stg and dollar a/c, if over 10K might be worth checking out the FOREX brokers who may be able to do you a much better deal than your bank. I used currenciesdirect.com before and they were ok.

2. You'll be accepting Paypal payments as that is what 99% of your customers will pay you with!

Cheers, Des.
  • Extant
    Extant Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    If you invoice in USD, you will have to bear in mind exchange rates etc, and how that will actually affect your business here. If you invoice in GBP, they worry about the exchange rate in getting it to you.
    What would William Shatner do?
  • agsnu
    agsnu Posts: 1,457 Forumite
    Options
    The fees of course have nothing to do with IBANs or BICs, which are just codes.
  • 97trophy
    97trophy Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options

Thanks

Firstly, good luck with the business! Nice to see someone having a go.

Take paypal for your ebay sales and they will take care of it for you. The buyers pays you in their currency paypal convert and you get GBP in your bank account. Very easy but the rates are not the best.
  • bode
    bode Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    I've done the ebay thing before, so I'm setting it up again. Paypal is fine of course, but as you are aware, the Euro folk will be wanting to bank transfer and I would prefer to promote it. I assume I should be asking ebayers to be pay me in GBP.

As for the other query, this will be a one off transfer from a US bank of at least £2000. I've invoiced her in GBP, but wanted to clarify the best method to avoid fees using the above codes.
  • Extant
    Extant Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    As for the other query, this will be a one off transfer from a US bank of at least £2000. I've invoiced her in GBP, but wanted to clarify the best method to avoid fees using the above codes.

Ask to be paid in sterling. The credit should then arrive in sterling, with the conversion done at her end, leaving you with a clean £2000.
    What would William Shatner do?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport