ways to boost the economy

Options
Offer 1000GBP to every British citizen straight away

This can cut government administration cost (represent 30% of the capital)

Same happen in Singapore Taiwan. Prove it can boost economy and it is better than bail out bank and vat cut

Comments

• Extant
    Extant Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    Same happened in the US last year, too. Didn't work so well there.

There is nothing to say that this would stimulate the economy at all.
    What would William Shatner do?
    456789 Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They can stimulate the economy by investing in my [strike]pyramid[/strike] investment scheme with the money :p
  • nads
    nads Posts: 2,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spend! Spend! Spend! Oh wait that's how we got into this mess in the first place.
  • nads
    nads Posts: 2,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think Australia is also giving everyone AUD900 too. Good luck!
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    Same happened in the US last year, too. Didn't work so well there.

There is nothing to say that this would stimulate the economy at all.

I agree the VAT cut cost the country billions, yet hasn't made much if any difference.
  • Extant
    Extant Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    Inactive wrote: »
    I agree the VAT cut cost the country billions, yet hasn't made much if any difference.

I think everyone rolled their eyes at it anyway. A whole 2.5% percent? Why thank you Mr Brown, that means I'm saving a whole £5 on my new television. That £5 is what was really holding me back, after all. Not the fact that I can't use a drill to mount the bracket on the wall.

We need to cut benefits back drastically, and bring them back to being a safety net, not a lifestyle. Then cut business taxes to encourage their growth. Then get rid of that awful PFI, and have the government employ people to build our hospitals, refurbish towns, etc. Good bit of deficit spending and job growth.
    What would William Shatner do?
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    I think everyone rolled their eyes at it anyway. A whole 2.5% percent? Why thank you Mr Brown, that means I'm saving a whole £5 on my new television. That £5 is what was really holding me back, after all. Not the fact that I can't use a drill to mount the bracket on the wall.
    The irony being that if your job is at risk there is no way you'll be buying a telly! Until people feel their jobs have a level of security about them they won't be buying things like TVs, cars, computers etc when their existing TV works, car goes and computer connects. And if they lose their jobs they'll keep their computers until they've sold everything they've got on Ebay!
    We need to cut benefits back drastically, and bring them back to being a safety net, not a lifestyle.
    Too right. There isn't a politician in the country who has the balls to do this though. Or manage state employment levels down. Or reduce the burden of state pensions.
    Then cut business taxes to encourage their growth. Then get rid of that awful PFI, and have the government employ people to build our hospitals, refurbish towns, etc. Good bit of deficit spending and job growth.
    It is obvious that, long term, the state should only spend what it can afford after paying off a bit of debt and squirreling a few quid away for a rainy day.

Apologies for the wording, but that rainy day is here. It's pi$$ing it down and HM Government have !!!!!! away our taxes on nice new buildings (hospitals etc) and wasteful bureaucrats without actually investing in training new doctors, nurses etc to come through the system.

So we employ some bloke from the Gambia to do the job (and sends half his pay back home) while a Brit loses his job in Woollies to claim the dole.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure