PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fixing a Cafetiere - help please

Options
I just washed my single persons cafetiere by hand but the plunge bit fell off as I was cleaning it. I can't take it back as a) I've had it since November and b) I got it from Woolies. I am loathe to buy another as they are quite costly and I haven;t really over used the last one.

I have it in the following bits - 1. lid and plunger with button on top

2. one circular fan shaped bit with cutouts which seems to have a screwin end

3. one mesh circle

4. circle with lots of holes in and a wire coiled round the edges.

I don't think it is broken as such, more like it came unscrewed.

Can anyone advise me how to fix it as I have tons of expensive cafetiere coffee left over so still need to use one?

Many thanks
What Would Bill Buchanan Do?

Comments

• Beebop
    Beebop Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Just had a look at mine - you need to reassemble in the following order:

1) Fan looking one at bottom
    2) Then Mesh
    3) Then coiled spring one

You should then be able to screw in the screw at the bottom of the plunger into the fan shaped one?
    Hope that helps ;o)
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Yes, I agree with Beebop. Mine frequently disassembles itself. It should all fit back together.
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks folks I will have a try later :)
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • tinkerbell84
    Options
    I always take mine to bits before washing! :confused:
  • ali1972
    ali1972 Posts: 599 Forumite
    Options
    I've done away with the plunger completely and just use the glass jug to make a pot of coffee then use a strainer (very very cheap from the supermarket) when I pour it. When I was a child I remember my mum using a coffee pot this way - days before cafetieres!
    Yeah, whatever. I'm a grown up, I can take it...
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always take mine to bits before washing! :confused:

Really? :shocked:
    I was trying to cut down on coffee, so I stopped buying instant coffee and bought a one cup cafetiere and ground coffee instead.. I can never be bothered to wash it out straight away . My guilty admission is that I always have to wash it out before I can have another cup of coffee, which I really can't be bothered with so, I'm now down to 1 cup of coffee a day!
  • tinkerbell84
    Options
    Bronnie wrote: »
    Really? :shocked:
    I was trying to cut down on coffee, so I stopped buying instant coffee and bought a one cup cafetiere and ground coffee instead.. I can never be bothered to wash it out straight away . My guilty admission is that I always have to wash it out before I can have another cup of coffee, which I really can't be bothered with so, I'm now down to 1 cup of coffee a day!

I used to work in the hospitality industry ;)

Just rinsing the assembly won't get all of the coffee bits out so mine all come to bits once used ;)
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to work in the hospitality industry ;)

Just rinsing the assembly won't get all of the coffee bits out so mine all come to bits once used ;)

Mmmm. :undecided
    Personally, probably more likely to give up coffee than do that!
  • squirrelchops
    Options
    Me too tinkerbell. If I had £1 for every cafetiere I had to reassemble I would have a very full piggy bank!
  • tinkerbell84
    Options
    Bronnie wrote: »
    Mmmm. :undecided
    Personally, probably more likely to give up coffee than do that!

WHY? :confused:

Must take all of 5 seconds to pull the plunger out, whip the screw off the bottom and then drop the components into the dishwasher, before rinsing the grounds out of the jug :confused::confused:

And another 5 seconds for re-assembly

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family