We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

New role after redundancy

Im after a bit of advice if anyone can help.

At the start of 2007 - me and 3 of my colleagues had our jobs put up for redundancy. Our main task in the roles were being moved offshore. We were offered other positions in the company - I took one, one of my colleagues took one in another department and the other two took redundancy.

All has been well since then, but I have noticed recently that my job is turning more and more into what I used to do. This last week I have been given some work to do which is the exact same job that I used to do in my old role and isnt being offshored as they arent able to do it to a sufficient high standard.

Am I right in thinking this shouldnt be happening? I am doing work I was told not to do anymore and threatened with redundancy over.

Thanks in advance for any responses

Comments

  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    if I read this right, you are no longer under threat of redundancy?

    organisations aren't static. They planned to do something, it didn't work out, they now have to go back to plan A. change over time is acceptable and a part of business life.

    can you clarify why you are unhappy and what your loss is?
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • stoobie
    stoobie Posts: 13 Forumite
    can you clarify why you are unhappy and what your loss is?

    Im not unhappy :) - it just occured to me that I was again doing a role that I was almost made redundant over (and 2 people were) as there was no longer a need for the role to exist. I wondered if legally they should be asking me to do the work. If nothing else they are being a cheeky :)

    I know the other guy was asked to do the work but he refused on the grounds that it is no longer his job/role.
  • Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    stoobie wrote: »
    I know the other guy was asked to do the work but he refused on the grounds that it is no longer his job/role.

    If another round of redundancies came around i wonder which one of you would be kept on?
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.