Price for DG French doors and back door

Options
All,

After finding this website, I have a favour to ask of you all.

I had a DG salesman visit the house last week to quote me for a pair of french doors (1800 wide) and a new back door to the kitchen (fully glazed) and an adjacent window (from counter top up to ceiling, approx 600 wide). All work in uPVC with georgian cross bars.

The salesman was from the country's largest and most established "home improvement" company. First price was over £6000 which I obviously knew was outrageous, with the "show home discount" and paying by finance (which he admitted could be fully paid on the first payment) this came down to £2050. I was tempted but sent him away. But is this a reasonable price? Whilst it was all talk, there is obviously a reason this company has been around for 40 years and their products do seem to be better than the average.

All feedback is very welcome.

Comments

• thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    yes it is but dont believe a salesman when they tell you that the finance can be paid off in first payment
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • britneylover
    Options
    so the price is good? I'm not expecting to be in the house for too much longer, so could go for a lower quality product if the price was significantly lower, is there any scope for this?

He explained that the finance allowed for overpayment with no limit. If the loan was paid off early then the charge would be the interest of the outstanding balance when it was paid off. So my thinking was pay off all but a pound, then the interest is only on the pound. Obviously I would thoroughly check all of this before signing.
  • linni
    linni Posts: 1,480 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just had quote for £1400 for french doors and £1100 for front door (incl glass panels at each side).
  • britneylover
    Options
    linni wrote: »
    I have just had quote for £1400 for french doors and £1100 for front door (incl glass panels at each side).

Are the doors of similar size and basic in function, i.e. do not tilt, simple lock mechanism etc.

Was this your first quote, did you manage to haggle down from a higher starting point?
  • markie1980
    Options
    Yes that is a resonable price, but i would say please don't go with them!
    Any company starting at £6000 and dropping to £2000 doesn't deserve anyones business - They were quite blatently trying to scam you out of £4000!

Please consider going for a local, smaller company that will supply just as good, if not better products for a fair price from the start.
    If you would like me to work out what i would charge for that job, using top quality products, so you know what price to aim for let me know.

Mark.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport