We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

11+/Grammar school entrance exam entrance/KS2

Options
13»

Comments

• Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Discodee wrote: »
    Not like that now, sadly
    Snobbery, peer pressure and bullying are rife everywhere these days!

I dunno... my friend's daughter is now 15 and at the same school and she reports the same experiences I had. We often gossip about the old place - it seems that the teaching staff are all still the same :rotfl:

It was only ten years ago that I left. I'm not that old yet!
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • Discodee
    Discodee Posts: 2,062 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ah well I am 49 lol. My daughter's all girl grammar school has been a nightmare. Because she is a decent girl she has been bullied. Her peers were arriving at school in yr 7 plastered in make up and hair all done (despite it contravening school rules) had facebook saying things like "Hi I am ***************** I am 12 and very sexual!" They're all out drinking and smoking, and some of them having sex at 13 /14. Now she is 16, her peers are posting pics of several empty bottles and a full ashtray boasting "This is what we got through last night", they all have fake ID and are out clubbing until the early hours. The mind boggles! !!!!!! are the parents doing?
    I can be brown I can be blue I can be violet and sky. I can be hurtful I can be purple I can be anything you like..Gotta be green gotta be mean gotta be everything more...
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 February 2012 at 1:34PM
    Options
    they all have fake ID and are out clubbing until the early hours. The mind boggles! !!!!!! are the parents doing?

Ah, now I never said we weren't sly! The local nightclubs were a very exciting distraction when we were 14 or 15 :rotfl: But the thing is we did have parental permission - we were mature and sensible and we played by their rules (home by 1am, don't go off with strangers, stick together...). A friend and I even went for a long weekend to stay at a City centre hotel 300 miles away when we were 15 - we partied sooo hard!

But you see we did have sense - we did stick together, we were savvy enough to stay out of trouble and we were honest to our parents. They actually knew where we were going and what we were doing - how many parents of teenagers can say the same?

And I'm afraid we were a bit notorious for hanging around town in our mini skirts (we left home with knee-length skirts but rolled them up as soon as we were out of sight). And my poor old Russian teacher really did well to cope with the things we did to him!

I think it was an important part of growing up :grin: But we never turned on each other. There was no bullying or picking on people; if a girl was going through a rough time we all supported her. We looked out for each other and went through school as a team. Not everyone wanted to go out clubbing and that was fine. Whether you sat in the back or the front, whether you were into sports or music or science, whether you smoked or not, you were all part of the team. A very naughty team :p
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    Options
    Not like that now, sadly
    Snobbery, peer pressure and bullying are rife everywhere these days!

I work in a grammar school and can assure you that it is not rife there.

I also went to a grammar school when I was young. My school now and the pupils in it reminds me a lot of my old school.

Things haven't changed all that much.
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • Charlotte49
    Options
    Grammar schools/private schools are not necessarily better. An intelligent child will do well wherever they are. The only reason (in my eyes) to move out of the state system is if the child is unhappy there, is being bullied or will receive better teaching, smaller class sizes and more attention elsewhere. It's so important to take the child for a tour of the school (which should also have a taster day) to make sure the child likes it too.

Exam wise, a lot of it does rely on the common sense and intelligence of your child. I took a 16+ exam to a private school since we have no grammar schools in our area. The majority of 11+ exams are set similarly to the SATS tests and some schools even use a past SATS paper. If there is something your child has not covered in their syllabus yet, they should write 'I have not covered this at my school' next to the question, but should attempt it anyway, but not be disheartened since the school should consider that when marking the paper. I didn't revise much for the exams I sat since I was confident in my ability and wanted it to be a genuine representation of my ability rather than my ability after hours of revising. Forcing your child to revise a lot will make him/her more nervous. Stress to them that there are other great options if they don't get in.
  • Discodee
    Options
    mrcow wrote: »
    I work in a grammar school and can assure you that it is not rife there.

Things haven't changed all that much.

No disrespect but that's what half the teachers inHER school say! Most of them don't have a clue. Think they're all lovely girls.
    I can be brown I can be blue I can be violet and sky. I can be hurtful I can be purple I can be anything you like..Gotta be green gotta be mean gotta be everything more...
  • Discodee
    Options
    Ah, now I never said we weren't sly! The local nightclubs were a very exciting distraction when we were 14 or 15 :rotfl: But the thing is we did have parental permission - we were mature and sensible and we played by their rules (home by 1am, don't go off with strangers, stick together...). A friend and I even went for a long weekend to stay at a City centre hotel 300 miles away when we were 15 - we partied sooo hard!

But you see we did have sense - we did stick together, we were savvy enough to stay out of trouble and we were honest to our parents. They actually knew where we were going and what we were doing - how many parents of teenagers can say the same?

And I'm afraid we were a bit notorious for hanging around town in our mini skirts (we left home with knee-length skirts but rolled them up as soon as we were out of sight). And my poor old Russian teacher really did well to cope with the things we did to him!

I think it was an important part of growing up :grin: But we never turned on each other. There was no bullying or picking on people; if a girl was going through a rough time we all supported her. We looked out for each other and went through school as a team. Not everyone wanted to go out clubbing and that was fine. Whether you sat in the back or the front, whether you were into sports or music or science, whether you smoked or not, you were all part of the team. A very naughty team :p

Sorry but I am horrified!:eek: No way would I let my 17 yr old go to a nightclub and come in at 1am never mind at 14/15! My son is 14 in Sept and the thought of him out at night late makes me feel sick!
    She has a little drink with us now and again or if she went to a party she'd have a can of lager or a glass of wine. But we go and collect her!

It's a different world these days!
  • Discodee
    edited 27 February 2012 at 11:05AM
    Options
    Grammar schools/private schools are not necessarily better. An intelligent child will do well wherever they are. The only reason (in my eyes) to move out of the state system is if the child is unhappy there, is being bullied or will receive better teaching, smaller class sizes and more attention elsewhere. It's so important to take the child for a tour of the school (which should also have a taster day) to make sure the child likes it too.

Exam wise, a lot of it does rely on the common sense and intelligence of your child. I took a 16+ exam to a private school since we have no grammar schools in our area. The majority of 11+ exams are set similarly to the SATS tests and some schools even use a past SATS paper. If there is something your child has not covered in their syllabus yet, they should write 'I have not covered this at my school' next to the question, but should attempt it anyway, but not be disheartened since the school should consider that when marking the paper. I didn't revise much for the exams I sat since I was confident in my ability and wanted it to be a genuine representation of my ability rather than my ability after hours of revising. Forcing your child to revise a lot will make him/her more nervous. Stress to them that there are other great options if they don't get in.

It's 2 VR exams here, which I also disagree with as it's not something you use again.
    My son's Grammar School is an independent one, and his entrance exam was 3 exams; VR, Maths and English. Personally I think it should just be Maths and English.
  • greenishfingers
    Options

Grammar schools are state schools. True, they do 'cream off' the brighter pupils, but that is not necessarily a bad thing for either surrounding schools or for pupils themselves. As a parent I have reservations about grammar schools - I went to an East London comp and received a broad education both academically and in life! - but I want my children to be in an environment where they are happy, appreciated and challenged, be that a grammar or a comp. Grammar schools shouldn't just be considered an option in case of bullying in a comp!

In terms of SATs, as an ex-teacher I know that the VR and NVR tests used by most grammars as part of the 11+ are testing aptitute rather than where a child is at the present (SATs simply determine the standard of a child's work on the day tested). As such they are quite different to SATs and to simply use SATs practise to prepare a child for the 11+ would leave them a bit lost come the test day! I know some private schools use Year 6 SATs results as an entrance criteria, but grammar school places are generally allocated differently.

Sorry if I sound a bit preachy, but hope this helps clarify things a little!
    In a Den first, Theo Paphitis has been getting business information from a talking tree.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Many years ago I failed the 11+ and went to a sec.modern at the end of the first year I was transfered to Grammar school and I hated it, the standard of teaching was way below the sec.mod
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback