We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

11+/Grammar school entrance exam entrance/KS2

Options

Comments

• Badger_Lady
    Options
    Discodee wrote: »
    I wondered that when my daughter was taking the exam. I even went onto an 11 plus forum, and was told by rich, snotty people, when I asked for advice, but said I didn't want to tutor, that she would FAIL unless she was tutored for at least 2 years. N;eedless to say I went back and told them when she got 277 out of 282! (The pass mark is around 236) I was also glad I hadn't wasted money on tutoring. It's about £20 an hour or something stupid!

Quite! There were a lot of girls in my school who had been sent to private prep schools, but my only preparation in 1996 was an old 'O-level mathematics' book my Dad found in a charity shop and I got the highest mark out of all new entrants that year.

I'm also proud that two of my best friends there were from the local council estate and on free school dinners. I loved that all of us, from all these backgrounds, had an equal opportunity for academic success :) And there was zero snobbery amongst the girls - no bullying or superiority at all, it was fantastic.
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • Badger_Lady
    Options
    Never went away in a range of LEAs / counties. (Gloucs, Kent, Dorset (part ) Devon (part) N Yorks (part) Lancashire (part) Birmingham Bucks Berks Lincs
    There are about 130 grammar schools in the country

Yeah - that's why I had to travel 50 miles each way to my nearest one :undecided But I was too bright for the comprehensive, despite streaming, so it had to happen.

My childhood best friend, who was another clever child, stayed at the comprehensive and had a thoroughly miserable existence. She ended up with very poor marks, genuinely believing she was thick, and was bullied so much that her self-confidence was killed. She's now a train-spotter and Klingon-speaker (nothing wrong with that per se but she could have been a scientist or mathematician as well).
  • Queenriderbrekke
    Options
    As far as I know we haven't got it in Norfolk, unless it's voluntary, went out in the 70's here!
    "Sealed Pot challenge" member No. 138

2012 £ 3147.74 2013 £1437.532014 £ 2356.52
  • Queenriderbrekke
    Options
    So do all the children in your areas have to sit it?

All the grammar Schools in my area are fee paying schools except for a very few scholorships.

Who pays the school fees for the schools if your child passes?

• ~evanesco~
    Options
    I Googled a lot for when my daughter was revising for hers last year. She passed with flying colours, and they (in their own words) 'strongly recommended we put the grammar school as our first choice when making her application for secondary school'. Make it fun, don't do too much every day, although DD insisted on doing something every day, and take advantage every available resource. Use Chukra to ascertain what you need to work on most, you don't need pay a subscription, practice is the key, there are plenty of practice papers available, work on your child's weaknesses, DD struggled with Type 19 Verbal reasoning, so we did lots of work on those, and I found them really hard too. Make sure you know what entrance exams they sit, DD had 2 VR exams, I thought both would be multiple choice and was worried when DD came out of the first one and said it was nothing like what we'd been practising, but that she felt confident anyway. Good luck.
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 February 2012 at 12:20AM
    Options
    So do all the children in your areas have to sit it?

All the grammar Schools in my area are fee paying schools except for a very few scholorships.

Who pays the school fees for the schools if your child passes?

As far as I know it's always optional... certainly in Wiltshire, where I went, the 11+ was only a requirement if you wanted a place at the grammar school. Some friends of mine who stayed there will soon be considering their children for the school - one has a bright daughter who she hopes will go, while another has an attention-deficit son who will not be taking the exams because it would be unecessary pressure and the school wouldn't suit him.

I've never come across a fee-paying one... as far as I'm concerned that just makes it a private school, not a grammar. And is clearly going to be feasible for only those with funds to pay for it.
  • Queenriderbrekke
    Options
    As the 11+ dosen't seem to exist in Norfolk, we may not have any grammar schools any more and that is maybe why they charge fees because they are private schools, my daughter was very bright, but we couldn't have afforded to send her to a private school, so she ended up at her local comp, she still went to uni for pure biology, the school/teachers were very helpful with after school/lunch time help, the school/teachers were happy to be able to help a pupil who wanted to learn and luckily I was willing to learn with her using the internet and her text books so could also do o level a level papers along with her to practice(although she hated me for making her work at the time she now says that she wished I had pushed her harder) lol!

• Discodee
    Discodee Posts: 2,062 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Grammar schools are optional here, and there is no fee to pay. I certainly wouldn't have sent mine there if there had been! Don't agree with private schools either!
    I can be brown I can be blue I can be violet and sky. I can be hurtful I can be purple I can be anything you like..Gotta be green gotta be mean gotta be everything more...
  • Discodee
    Options
    Quite! There were a lot of girls in my school who had been sent to private prep schools, but my only preparation in 1996 was an old 'O-level mathematics' book my Dad found in a charity shop and I got the highest mark out of all new entrants that year.

I'm also proud that two of my best friends there were from the local council estate and on free school dinners. I loved that all of us, from all these backgrounds, had an equal opportunity for academic success :) And there was zero snobbery amongst the girls - no bullying or superiority at all, it was fantastic.
    Not like that now, sadly
    Snobbery, peer pressure and bullying are rife everywhere these days!
    I can be brown I can be blue I can be violet and sky. I can be hurtful I can be purple I can be anything you like..Gotta be green gotta be mean gotta be everything more...
  • Discodee
    Options
    And that's regardless of social background by the way!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback