We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Incorrect Taxation of Redundancy Damages
greenflamingo_2
Posts: 128 Forumite
Can someone help with this please?
I was made redundant whilst on maternity leave and my employer breached my contract by failing to give me contractual notice. On the wage slip I received they have paid me a sum stated as "PILON". Out of this they have deducted nearly £2K in income tax. As I understand it damages are payable for breach of contract and these are not subject to income tax. There is no clause in my contract for payment of PILON and it only states that I am entitled to 13 weeks notice for termination of employment.
Obviously the £2K is quite a lot of money to pay in income tax when it shouldnt have been taken. Can you advise how I go about getting a refund as my employer has told me that as I am receiving SMP from them for another 29 weeks I cannot have my P45 until it finishes so cant claim back the income tax?
I was made redundant whilst on maternity leave and my employer breached my contract by failing to give me contractual notice. On the wage slip I received they have paid me a sum stated as "PILON". Out of this they have deducted nearly £2K in income tax. As I understand it damages are payable for breach of contract and these are not subject to income tax. There is no clause in my contract for payment of PILON and it only states that I am entitled to 13 weeks notice for termination of employment.
Obviously the £2K is quite a lot of money to pay in income tax when it shouldnt have been taken. Can you advise how I go about getting a refund as my employer has told me that as I am receiving SMP from them for another 29 weeks I cannot have my P45 until it finishes so cant claim back the income tax?
0
Comments
-
PILON = Pay in lieu of Notice, so it's taxable."You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"0
-
Dont understand your term contractual notice. surely the 13 weeks is the notice which is in your contract, i dont see a breach so dont see where the 'damages'
comes in. You have been paid 13 weeks pay in Lieu of Notice, this payment was not damages, it was pay.
How long have you been with the company.
Did you receive redundancy paymake the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
and we will never, ever return.0 -
I think they mean contractual notice of the redundancy, if this is true then you are correct the payment is for damages not PILON and you are also correct that these damages are not taxable, I would imagine your best bet is a union if you have one or the tax office may be able to advise you, good luck.
Sam"You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "0 -
i agree about speaking to the union but the op said that PILON was printed on her wage slipmake the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
and we will never, ever return.0 -
Thanks guys. Annie just because the company has printed "PILON" on my salary slip does not mean that it is correct. The HR manager said that he thought I could reclaim the tax after speaking to the tax office so I guess I now need to write down everything in a letter and hope for the best.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
