Help with electricity switch

Options
Hi need some advice Will try and keep it short

I currently have a prepayment meter for electricity with Eon which was already in place when i moved into the property
I now wish to change to a metered bill for the savings that can be had about £250 according to the switching sites
Problem is none of the sites will switch from prepayment from to metered
Have spoken to EDF who have said if i switch to prepayment with them i can in 28 days then apply for a metered bill.
Have also spoken to Eon who i don't really want to stay with as they are more expensive and they have confirmed that the above offer probably will not be adhered to
They have confirmed that i need to pay £50 to have the meter changed to billed but this is subject to a credit check and as long as i don't sign up to a capped tariff i'm free to leave when i want (bit hard to believe)
Problem is i had some credit problems in the past (about five years ago so not 100% id get through the check). all recent credit has been paid fine
To be honest not sure which way to turn i believe that if Eon do the check and its not passed i dont have to pay the £50
To be honest neither company are throwing themselves at me for my custom
How stringent are credit checks for utilites i mean i will be paying by monthly direct debit or do any companies still accept security deposits?
Apologies for going on
Any ideas

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Well, what have you got to lose by going for it? I would have thought EDF would do a credit check on a new customers whith a prepayment meter, but maybe not. I think some suppliers credit score rather than check.
  • Vestra
    Vestra Posts: 856 Forumite
    Options
    I think I heard in another thread that EDF do not charge customers to change the meter (there will be a credit check though) so you probably could change to them, get the meter changed then change to whoever you like.
  • coldoasis
    Options
    I guess my two options are stay with Eon let them do the check and if all goes ok then pay the £50 for a switch.
    or
    change to EDF prepayment which is a better rate even prepayment ans see if they will change it in 28 days again subject to credit check

Does anyone know if any electric companies will still let you leave a security deposit if your credit is a bit shaky so you can still have a metered account?
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    British Gas charge you £200 gas and £300 electric ( or the other way around) if you fail the credit vet and have been with them for less than a year. You get this returned with interest after a year if you pay your bills on time. If you have been with us at another property within the 6 months previously on a Credit meter with no problems there is no credit check or deposit required.

I am unaware if other companies do this. The only way to find out is to call around.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport