We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Employer withholding pay. Please help!

So, Background info

I worked full time for 8 weeks in a bar. I was taken to one side during my last shift by my manager and told that his boss, one of the company directors, told him to get rid of me.. I asked for a reason but was told he didn't know why and his hands were tied. I was then promptly escorted out of the premesis.

Two days later I go back to pick up my wages and am informed that said director suspects I have been stealing from the till and has suspended my pay while he investigates.

It has now been two weeks, and despite numerous phone calls to both my manager and the head office I haven't seen a penny. Nobody seems to know what is going on, the director responsible is always unavailable and they refuse to give me a phone number to reach him.

I want to make it clear that I never took a penny. This company (and this director in particular) has a reputation for sacking people for no reason, and throughout my employment they ere never consistent in when, or how much they paid me. Due to the stress of the situation (and the fact when i was sacked I wasn't allowed to sign out and check my hours sheet) I am uncertain to the exact amount I am owed, but it is in excess of £300. How do I go about finding out how much, and more importantly getting it back? after some research I know I need to write a letter of intent to them threatening legal action, but how much notice do i need to give? I've heard 28 days, but some people say less. I just want it sorting as soon as possible.

It should also be noted that this company doesn't give it's staff contracts, and I only worked there 8 weeks since the bar opened. with this in mind, where do I stand with regards to unfair dismissal (since I wasn't told why i was sacked at the time) and (very unlikely) holiday pay?

Thanks in advance

Comments

  • Numpty_Monkey
    Numpty_Monkey Posts: 14,196 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I think the best thing you can do is call CAB, Citizens Advice
    or look for a Lawyer's ofice near you offering a free hour
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
    Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying :o . Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: & :( for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
    xx
    DFD 5/1/16
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.