19inch LG TFT flat screen-12 ms, 500:1 for £266!

Options
For those of you who are prepared to spend £200 on a non branded 17 TFT monitor with long repsonse time - take a look at this before you waste your money:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=7820&GroupID=458

Says 'Special Offer' so I don't know how long it is at that price for.
But it's huge, got faster response time than most 17inch TFT's at £200, a good contrast ratio (500:1) and above all is a quality brand!!

Oh - and 3 year warranty should you have any probs!

Overall - looks worth the extra £66 I'd say!

;)
"To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant." Amos Bronson Alcott

Comments

• identitymismatch
    Options
    Microdirect's special offers normally _do_ look this good, esp. with no-name LCD screens. It's a no-frills package - no speakers, no DVI input, no USB ports... if all you want is an analogue screen this could be a good buy.

User feedback (use the "Comments" tab) appears good.

If I though it would survive by toddler, I'd buy this screen. 12ms should be nice for gaming and DVDs.
  • gingercat
    Options
    Worth noting is that this 19" model is still only 1280x1024, so you're not getting any more resolution than most 17"ers, just a larger screen. Ideally with a 19" model, you'd want it to support 1600x1200, but these do cost a fortune.
    Gingercat
  • londonman81
    londonman81 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Worth noting is that this 19" model is still only 1280x1024, so you're not getting any more resolution than most 17"ers, just a larger screen.  Ideally with a 19" model, you'd want it to support 1600x1200, but these do cost a fortune.

Thanks for pointing that out - I overlooked that.

BTW does anyone know of a 17inch TFT with DVI input for £200 or less - along with sub 16ms response time etc..??

Thanks ;)
    "To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant." Amos Bronson Alcott
  • fragster
    fragster Posts: 385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    haven't seen one at the moment, thats kinda what i'm holding out for although with 16ms 17" without dvi at £140 atm i dunno how much longer i can hold out for :o
  • b44rch
    b44rch Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    If you're looking for a big screen with a high native resolution (like 1600x1200), you'll need a 20" screen; a 19" screen can only display the same resolution as a 17" one, it's just bigger on the screen... If you get what I'm saying...
    No reliance should be placed on the above.
  • supers
    supers Posts: 810 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don`t know if this is any help BT Shop have got a 19" coming up on there advent calender on the 16th dec Videoseven V7 19" tft monitor £289.99 -£87 =£202.99 with a code TD100 to save another -£10 found this on rpoints (hope they don`t mind).
  • Magic_Time
    Options
    Hi,

Re the query about a 17" monitor with DVI and 16ms response... it's a bit over £200, but the Iiyama E431S got great reviews and is on dabs.com for £217 at the minute. (£229 at PCWorld & Currys if they've got it in stock & you have any codes...) Just ordered one myself, couldn't find anything to compete at that price point.
  • londonman81
    londonman81 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Re the query about a 17" monitor with DVI and 16ms response... it's a bit over £200, but the Iiyama E431S got great reviews and is on dabs.com for £217 at the minute. (£229 at PCWorld & Currys if they've got it in stock & you have any codes...) Just ordered one myself, couldn't find anything to compete at that price point.

Sounds good - I'd really like a DVI TFT around £200 and maybe in the sales after Xmas I'll get my wish!
    Will post here if I find any in the meantime.

BTW - do DVI TFT's come with the necessary DVI connector?Or do I need to buy it?
    And just how compatible is the DVI input with most graphics cards? And how do I know if my current graphics card will take DVI?

Thanks ;)
  • Magic_Time
    Options
    DVI TFT's don't usually come with a DVI cable, which is a shame 'cos they're expensive. As for whether your graphics card is compatible, I'm not sure how to identify the right connection... I haven't got my new computer yet or I'd have a look! Maybe you could find the specifications of your card on the web?
  • scattycat_3
    Options
    DVI monitors are classed as TV's by Brussels and so carry extra tax, hence price hike >:(
    Moi....? ;)

Martin asked me to say I'm a volunteer Board Guide on the Utilities board, facilitating its smooth running. I can move & change posts there. However I do not read every post.
    Dealing with abusive or illegal posts is not part of my role, so if you spot any, please report them HERE.
    Views I express are mine alone, and not official ones of MoneySavingExpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure