New Millenium Holidays - does anyone remember them?

Options
We went several times in the lates 80s and early 90s on coach holidays with NM, an operator based in Solihull. It was real no frills (overnight coaches to save money on hotels) but excellent vfm for example 15 days tour Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland and Berlin - as I recall £350 - we were about to book Russia/Ukraine and NM seemed to vanish. There were always interesting fellow travellers as well, and the hotels were usually excellent. Does anyone remember what happened to NM and whether there is anyone else doing these kind of holidays?

Comments

• sloppychops
    sloppychops Posts: 6,742 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is this who you mean?

New Millenium Holidays & Travel Ltd
    1665 High Street, Knowle, Solihull
    Tel: 01564 770750

Cant find a web addy for them though

You could try
    www.travelsphere.co.uk
    "Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I do remember them, not sure if they are still in business.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Quietmanc
    Options
    Ooops.Just found another one.

New Millennium Holidays & Travel
    Icon House
    209 Yardley Rd
    Acocks Green
    Birmingham
    West Midlands
    B27 6LZ

Tel: 08702 403217

Unlikely to be two firms with the same name in the same area(roughly),so,perhaps they've moved or opened another branch?
  • We went several times in the lates 80s and early 90s on coach holidays with NM, an operator based in Solihull. It was real no frills (overnight coaches to save money on hotels) but excellent vfm for example 15 days tour Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland and Berlin - as I recall £350 - we were about to book Russia/U, my kraine and NM seemed to vanish. There were always interesting fellow travellers as well, and the hotels were usually excellent. Does anyone remember what happened to NM and whether there is anyone else doing these kind of holidays?
    yes, i remember New Millenium with considerable pleasure, my wife and I visited Hungary, Poland, and the Czech republic in the late 1990s but sadly the last holiday we booked with them had to be cancelled owing to the lack of demand and that year c1998 it seemed to have folded. Our fellow passengers seemed to be teachers, local government officers and others who appreciated 24 hour coach trips with no leg room and long delays at customs . I only wish NM still existed.
  • chrishowick
    Options
    I think we probably went on the last ever tour organised by New Millennium - to Zakopane in Poland over Christmas & New Year 2002. As with all our other trips with the company, it was well organised, very good value and probably the most memorable holiday we have ever had.

Just before we got back to Calais for the ferry, the coach unfortunately went wrong and we were delayed a few hours while the driver tried to fix the wheel. It was a blow to him as he was due to sell the coach the next day!

We were planning our next trip! At the end of the trip, we were told that the brochure was a little late but would be sent shortly. In the end all we received was a letter thanking us for our custom in the past and saying that they were taking a year off and would be back the following year.

Of course, they never returned and ten years on are sorely missed by the customers who swore by them for providing value holidays in good clean accommodation to interesting and unusual places and in the company of interesting people.

I think one of the issues was that they were finding it hard to come up with places that were cheap enough for their type of holiday. I wrote to them once suggesting they added Croatia to their brochure - they replied they had in the past organised tours there ( I suppose when it was Yugoslavia), but they were finding it hard to include places like that now because German tourists pushed up the price. Added to that what they offered was a limited market and I suppose there just was not enough demand to keep going.

I hope this helps clear things up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport