IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Lost ticket to get out, do i have to pay fine?

Options
Last night I parked my car in a council owned car park where you take a ticket when you go in, and then pay at the end. However, I lost my ticket and ended up having to call the police to get me let out. The sign said there was a £25 charge for "lost tickets"- which seems a bit over the top considering the cost of parking was only £1. I haven't been told I will be fined although I am expecting something through the post at some point. Can I get out of paying this? I found my ticket when I got home, will that give me any more leverage in fighting this?

Comments

• Neil_B
    Neil_B Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Options
    How do you get a ticket in the first place? Does buying one open the entry barrier? - or could you enter without a ticket (this is what they will be considering).

What Council?
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    Options
    Neil_B wrote: »
    How do you get a ticket in the first place? Does buying one open the entry barrier? - or could you enter without a ticket (this is what they will be considering).

What Council?

Have you never been in that type of car park? You drive up and the automatic machine presents you with a ticket, taking the ticket raises the barrier.

On leaving you first use the ticket to pay at the machine then the same ticket raises the barrier when you leave.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,651 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't understand, if the Police helped you get out (not sure how) then the car park don't know anything about you losing the ticket (or do they) so how will they fine you :confused:
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Options
    I don't understand, if the Police helped you get out (not sure how) then the car park don't know anything about you losing the ticket (or do they) so how will they fine you :confused:

It's a bit odd as usually those car parks are attended or at least have a button you can push to talk to a real person.

Or at least in theory unlike the one in Travelodge newcastle where the barrier wasn't working and they didn't bother answering the button I had to get out of the car and walk around to reception to get them to let me out!
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    I've not come across one of these except in a multi storey c.park, which council was this. Unless you can say which all advice will be speculative at best.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Options
    I've not come across one of these except in a multi storey c.park, which council was this. Unless you can say which all advice will be speculative at best.

They are very common for 'flat' car parks too.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Note to self, must get out more.
    The OP needs to give more details to enable those more expert to help.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Options
    Note to self, must get out more.
    The OP needs to give more details to enable those more expert to help.

I think he would have been better off paying the £25!
    Personally I would have just paid up, then smacked myself in the head for being and idiot and losing my ticket.
  • Neil_B
    Options
    Have you never been in that type of car park? You drive up and the automatic machine presents you with a ticket, taking the ticket raises the barrier.

On leaving you first use the ticket to pay at the machine then the same ticket raises the barrier when you leave.

Of course but i've also seen others where you buy a ticket for exit by using your ticket for entry - i.e that and the money both go in the machine.

I also agree with the person who said 'the police may not tell the Council'.

more importantly £25? Bears no relation to any CPE penalty? So what is it exactly? Sounds more like a contractual thing that could possibly be ignored.
    -
  • Neil_B
    Options
    Then again, I don't know why people bother posting and then not responding to any of the input offered. Unless some paeticular internet or health problem - quite pointless and rude really.
    -
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family