Storage heater help...

Options
Phil3822
Phil3822 Posts: 604 Forumite
Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi all. Just moved into a property with storage heaters. Never used them before and they have no instructions. Having looked at the controls there are 2 dials. One for input and one for boost. The one for boost is currently set at minimum and the input one is set at 3. (Goes up to 6)

Just wondering if anyone can give me basic instructions of what to do with them. Winter/summer etc. Just looking for an overview.

Many thanks.

Comments

• bristol_pilot
    Options
    Keep the boost at minimum. This one lets the stored heat out more quickly, in practice it leaks out far too quickly anyway so keep that on minimum.

The 0-6 dial controls how much heat is stored overnight. I used to set the living room one to 6 in winter and 3 in summer, the others to 3.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    You might also want to check your off peak meter and see how many kwh you're clocking up so you know how much the heaters are costing you on different settings.
  • Phil3822
    Options
    Thanks for the help and advice. There are 5 large storage heaters in the house. Could be difficult checking the cost on different settings for 5 of them? I'll have a look though. Not looking forward to working with these heaters but it'l be a few years before I can afford to get connected to gas.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Phil3822 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help and advice. There are 5 large storage heaters in the house. Could be difficult checking the cost on different settings for 5 of them

I meant set them to what you think and see how many kwh have clocked up. Check out how much difference it makes having them at the maximum and minimum you would normally use. We had two one winter before we put gas CH in and I couldn't believe how much they cost.
  • Phil3822
    Options
    Thanks, thats what I'm worried about. The cost of running them. Not much choice really at this stage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure