We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Redundancy and enhanced payment or compensation
Kaz101
Posts: 55 Forumite
Hi
I'm in a pool of employees at risk of redundancy and we have just entered into a process of consultation. I understand the minimum notice and minimum redundancy payment I should receive, but I wondered if there was any "best practice" for employers offering enhanced or compensatory payment.
Can you (or employee representative) negotiate in this area at all or is it a like it or lump it award? Must all employees doing the same job being made redundant receive the same award or is there scope for individual negotiation?
I am 49 and I understand its widely accepted that older workers will have more difficulty in finding new employment so could enhanced payment/compensation be argued for on that account (also worked there for 20 years).
Any advice gratefully received! Thank you.
I'm in a pool of employees at risk of redundancy and we have just entered into a process of consultation. I understand the minimum notice and minimum redundancy payment I should receive, but I wondered if there was any "best practice" for employers offering enhanced or compensatory payment.
Can you (or employee representative) negotiate in this area at all or is it a like it or lump it award? Must all employees doing the same job being made redundant receive the same award or is there scope for individual negotiation?
I am 49 and I understand its widely accepted that older workers will have more difficulty in finding new employment so could enhanced payment/compensation be argued for on that account (also worked there for 20 years).
Any advice gratefully received! Thank you.
0
Comments
-
Its entirely up to the company but if they will only pay statutory then its a like it or lump it situation. Mind yu i always say if you dont ask you will get nowt. So ask awaymake the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
and we will never, ever return.0 -
Thank you. I'd best go and prepare my case then

Anyone know if employers can give employees in same jobs, being made redundant at same time, different compensation/ex gratia awards ...0 -
yes, providing those different amounts are not due to race/sex/religion etc0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards