New Call Checkers

Options
MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
What do you think of the new UKCallchecker - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ukcallchecker

and the redesign of the International CallChecker https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker

Martin
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• blinker
    blinker Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    excellent ! great :j help
  • mike_paterson
    Options
    Looks much better - easy to use and very clear data display

You might want to add a link to saynoto0870 on the UK page to remind people about it, or (perhaps better) put it in the window when a user selects 0845 or 0870 number

Thanks !
    Mike
    To infinity and beyond!
  • pricefighter
    pricefighter Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    Options
    Couple of errors which i have reported. One important one OneTel do not offer free 0845 calls at weekend.!!! and their evening rate of £1.20 is incorrect i think.On their site they show

0845 E. 1.48p W.1p see http://www.onetel.co.uk/index.php?node=landline-call-rates-nongeo&rates-id=845&x=7&y=11
    PF.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Wouldn't it be more convenient if the UK Callchecker displayed 3 columns (lilsts) at once instead of offering dropdown menu Weekday/Evening/Weekend?
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To answer the questions.

1. Saynoto0870. Oops my fault, it was in an earlier draft and i forgot it in editing. It'll be back in in a minute :)
    2. Thanks for reporting the Onetel problem, we'll get that sorted
    3. Grumbler, three columns would be nice, yet for mobiles especially there's no way to fit it in. So I took a decision to go with 'consistency of presentation' to make it easier for people to understand how it works. This may sound simplistic, but you'd be amazed how many people go to the Int Callchecker then email the callchecker email to ask "thank you for the callchecker can you tell me the cheapest way to call turkey" etc, so simplicity is the key!!!!

Also there's no discussion/questions thread on the callchecker currently. That's going to be added. If regular home phone boarders would help answer newbies questions (like the ones above!!!!) that'd be great :)

martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • DonnyDave
    DonnyDave Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Options
    One other think Martin, can I suggest that we have information on minimum call charges and connection charges? For the 08xx dial through providers that would of course depend on what the caller's telco charges.

Maybe an example wouldn't go amiss to explain the differences between minimum and connection charges.
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that Martin

Just one thing I noticed and that is for geo calls you have OneTel down as charging 5p/min for evening calls but they charge 5p for first hour (0.5p less than BT). This can be found here.
  • kaydee
    kaydee Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm in a situation where I might have to call an 0906 number!

Where do we find details of the best way to call these - I'm afraid not at all is not an option this time!
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    kaydee wrote:
    I'm in a situation where I might have to call an 0906 number!

Where do we find details of the best way to call these - I'm afraid not at all is not an option this time!
    There's no cheap way - via BT guarantees no excess charges though.

0906 charges vary considerably depending on the subsequent 2 or 3 digits.

Check out the cost of calling the particular one you may have to phone HERE (page 25 onwards).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • phoneman44
    Options
    Shouldn't OneTel be removed? After all you cannot register with them directly and customers on the OneTel tariffs will soon be migrated to the TalkTalk plans.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure