🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Scottish Powers Cheapest Tariff

Options
truescot
truescot Posts: 170 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
A bit confused regarding which tariff to go with from SP, and uSwitch did not seem helpful.

Aside from the negative comments on here about SP, I have been with them for a while and they have been satisfactory.

Moved into a 4 bed older house a few months ago and have had endless trouble switching my gas/electric over to SP (BG's fault I feel). Finally did it, sent readings to get a baseline not long after switching and my initial DD has been DOUBLED (to £170 a month)! Currently £197 in debit. Totally confused with all the different tariffs. Anyone know which is the cheapest online uncapped tariff, for a house which basically uses power 16 hours a day due to working from home?

Unfortunately I have not got the info about what previous tariff I was on.:confused:
Skint: (adjective) The tendency to turn off the grill when turning the bacon.

Think skint - it makes things simpler

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    I think your DD is high because you switched just before the winter so you didn't have a summer credit balance to cushion your winter use.

What you need to do, is find out how many kwh of gas and electricity you use in a year and feed those figures into a comparison site. Don't think in terms of DD - if you switch in April, your DD will probably be less than if you switch in November but that doesn't mean the tariff is cheaper.
  • truescot
    Options
    Thanks magentasue, it's not so much my direct debit I'm concerned with, as if that's what it has to be then so be it, and I know it's high cos I switched in winter. I just wondered if I am on the cheapest tariff for my usage. Discounted Energy NSC.

I'll phone SP today.
    Skint: (adjective) The tendency to turn off the grill when turning the bacon.

Think skint - it makes things simpler
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Do look at comparison sites - SP were cheapest for me last year, now it's EDF. It all depends on where you live, how much you use of each fuel - people here can only tell you what's cheapest for them, not you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport