🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Store Card Advice

Options
Hey All

I'm currently in the process of a break up and dont have any furniture for a new flat. I'm thinking about getting a store card for somewhere like Argos or something to get a bed, tv, wardrobe and some other little bits.

Any advice on which one to choose?
What store etc?
How to get it - specific cash back sites maybe (Quidco)?

Any advice would be excellent (even if its a dont do it message) so thanks in advance

Paul

Comments

• MPH80
    MPH80 Posts: 973 Forumite
    Options
    Doesn't it kind of depend what you need, what you can afford and what you want?

No good getting a Harrods card if you can't afford to buy there! And no good getting a Homebase card if they don't sell the bed you want!
  • farhadhussain
    Options
    Hi Paul
    As far as i know, an Argos card would do perfectly if you have less than perfect history. as well as Partnership card, Debenhams and House of Fraser cards are a good option( although i got declined for them:P..i dont have a very good history, only fair) so these are the options but dont just apply yet.. research and keep checking on this forum as sometimes you get good info on here..
  • Blakey1982
    Options
    Well.....I'm more focused on the money saving side to this - if a bed is cheaper with one place than the other then obviously i'd go for the cheapest but it depends how much the saving would be.

As a general request advice on where I could get the above items at a reasonable cost with maybe some addedd incentives that you (the experts) may know about?

Hope this helps but thanks for but reply
  • MPH80
    MPH80 Posts: 973 Forumite
    Options
    First step then - head over to freecycle - see what you can find on there first!
  • POSSETTE
    POSSETTE Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Options
    MPH80 wrote: »
    First step then - head over to freecycle - see what you can find on there first!
    my thoughts exactly..explain your circumstances and what you would like and see what gets offered,i have given quite a bit away on there. Where abouts are you in country?
    store card interest is mad so i would try for a cashback card,or try Tesco online for furniture/clubcard points!
    TO FINISH LAST, FIRST YOU HAVE TO FINISH....
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Blakey1982 wrote: »
    Any advice would be excellent (even if its a dont do it message) so thanks in advance

If you're not in a position to repay the balance in full before interest is incurred, I would think very carefully. Any promotional discount offers could be wiped out if you start incurring compounded interest.

The APR is often 30%+ on these cards and they have the added 'bonus' of only being accepted at one store/group.

A long term 0% credit card may be a cheaper option, so check out Martin's Credit card guide.
  • anotherpaul_2
    Options
    MPH80 wrote: »
    I'd second this. I've had a lots of useful things to furnish my house from generous people on freecycle, which has saved me a significant amount of money I couldn't really afford to spend. You have to be prepared to take what's available though, but I'm not fussy.

That, and things that friends and family didn't need/want any more.
  • Blakey1982
    Options
    Guys - Thanks to everyone - I am going on freecycle right now and signing up for a browse.

I personally think a credit card (preferably with my bank) would be best then. At least I am not limited to one store!!
  • Swans1912
    Swans1912 Posts: 1,658 Forumite
    Options
    Do not forget you can NOT balance transfer from the Argos Card!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport