We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Store Card Advice

Options
Hey All

I'm currently in the process of a break up and dont have any furniture for a new flat. I'm thinking about getting a store card for somewhere like Argos or something to get a bed, tv, wardrobe and some other little bits.

Any advice on which one to choose?
What store etc?
How to get it - specific cash back sites maybe (Quidco)?

Any advice would be excellent (even if its a dont do it message) so thanks in advance

Paul

Comments

• MPH80
    MPH80 Posts: 973 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Doesn't it kind of depend what you need, what you can afford and what you want?

No good getting a Harrods card if you can't afford to buy there! And no good getting a Homebase card if they don't sell the bed you want!
  • farhadhussain
    Options
    Hi Paul
    As far as i know, an Argos card would do perfectly if you have less than perfect history. as well as Partnership card, Debenhams and House of Fraser cards are a good option( although i got declined for them:P..i dont have a very good history, only fair) so these are the options but dont just apply yet.. research and keep checking on this forum as sometimes you get good info on here..
  • Blakey1982
    Options
    Well.....I'm more focused on the money saving side to this - if a bed is cheaper with one place than the other then obviously i'd go for the cheapest but it depends how much the saving would be.

As a general request advice on where I could get the above items at a reasonable cost with maybe some addedd incentives that you (the experts) may know about?

Hope this helps but thanks for but reply
  • MPH80
    MPH80 Posts: 973 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    First step then - head over to freecycle - see what you can find on there first!
  • POSSETTE
    POSSETTE Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Options
    MPH80 wrote: »
    First step then - head over to freecycle - see what you can find on there first!
    my thoughts exactly..explain your circumstances and what you would like and see what gets offered,i have given quite a bit away on there. Where abouts are you in country?
    store card interest is mad so i would try for a cashback card,or try Tesco online for furniture/clubcard points!
    TO FINISH LAST, FIRST YOU HAVE TO FINISH....
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Blakey1982 wrote: »
    Any advice would be excellent (even if its a dont do it message) so thanks in advance

If you're not in a position to repay the balance in full before interest is incurred, I would think very carefully. Any promotional discount offers could be wiped out if you start incurring compounded interest.

The APR is often 30%+ on these cards and they have the added 'bonus' of only being accepted at one store/group.

A long term 0% credit card may be a cheaper option, so check out Martin's Credit card guide.
  • anotherpaul_2
    Options
    MPH80 wrote: »
    I'd second this. I've had a lots of useful things to furnish my house from generous people on freecycle, which has saved me a significant amount of money I couldn't really afford to spend. You have to be prepared to take what's available though, but I'm not fussy.

That, and things that friends and family didn't need/want any more.
  • Blakey1982
    Options
    Guys - Thanks to everyone - I am going on freecycle right now and signing up for a browse.

I personally think a credit card (preferably with my bank) would be best then. At least I am not limited to one store!!
  • Swans1912
    Swans1912 Posts: 1,658 Forumite
    Options
    Do not forget you can NOT balance transfer from the Argos Card!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 237K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure