New Electrical/consumer unit quote

Options
Hi i'm looking to replace my old consumer unit (wire type) and replace it with a modern unit along with various other bits and bats of electrical work. I'd be greatful if anyone can give me their thoughts about the quote.

Replace fuse board to duel RCD Wylex consumer unit replacing tails and provide building compliance test certificate on all circuits connected = £250

Upgrade shower cable 10mm and supply local Isolator =£32.40

Additional double socket in bedroom = £35

Additional Socket in room under stairs = £20

Additional socket in back room next = £35

Total inc VAT = £428.40

Please note that it is possible that faults currently exist which go undetected with the old fuses. Occasional after connecting the new RCD systems existing faults cause the sensitive RCDs to trip. These faults have to be identified and corrected in order for the new system to work. Depending on the nature of the fault and the means required to correct it, may incur additional labour which is chargeable. We will alert you before proceeding.

Any guidance would be great

Ta

Bo

Comments

• jonnysparks
    Options
    seems very reasonable to me
    shower cable upgrade looks very cheap but then again i havent seen the job
    to be honest thats about what i charge and people say i'm don't charge enough . although i dont need to charge vat
  • sparky883
    Options
    Go for it!! The new board is unlikly to detect any major faults-Then again you could have your whole house rewired for in the region of £1500-I think the materials will be about £130/150 and taking away the VAT that does not leave much profit for 2 people for one day with the accoacited costs of running a business.
    OH THE JOYS OF BEING SELF-EMPLOYED!! Can Travel,Will Work For Free!
  • bowytt
    Options
    It would be just the one person taking a day and possibly half a day more if needed. The house was re-wired within the last 15-20 years and wiring already been checked out. Kitchen was new 3 years ago so all wiring associated with that is new (has also been checked out). Bathoom is directly (more or less) above where the fusebox will be for replacement of shower cabel. New plug sockets close to existing to take spurs or to add to loop or near fuse box.

Thanks for help. Read on some forums that Wylex board are not as good as others. Is this the case? Would boards sucj as an MK be a lot more expensive?

Thanks
  • sparky883
    Options
    There are some not so good consumer units about,But i would say this is more to do with installation (theres no room in them) I do not see a problem with wylex,They have after all been trading for ages,No doubt somone will dissagree,But for the end user (you) Theres nothing wrong with Wylex!!
    OH THE JOYS OF BEING SELF-EMPLOYED!! Can Travel,Will Work For Free!
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    s883

Thought I would disagree (couldn't resist) :rotfl:

I don't rate Wylex (they have to put a label on their consumer units telling people to tighten the screws as so many burn up :eek: ).
    Wylex, Volex and Crabtree are all the same stuff, and same parent company.

The screw thing is partly due to operator error (not tightenting ALL the screws- even the ones you havn't worked upon, as these looen in transit on Wylex)

I personally prefer MK, although if you are loaded you could buy a Merlin Gerin 12 way RCBO board - around £750 to buy- the mutts nuts, commercial quality.

OP
    Stick to MK (i may be bold enough to suggest a 5686s 17th Edition, not to be confused with the old 5686s which is around £50 cheaper)

I see about 4 faults (consumer unit related) per year with Wylex as a recent estate has them installed
    baldly going on...
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've got an old wire fuse box that needs replacing. I just got a quote for £300 which sounded a lot to me. :eek:

However someone told me that it's a labour intensive job so I guess I need to fork out.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport