How do i know if a debt management plan is right for me?*Debt Free Diary Begins*

Good evening all :)

I am not too sure where to start with this but i will try and keep is simple for now. Basically, i got loans and credit cards when i lived at home with my parents. Back then, i had nothing to worry about and could pay them easily. For the past 2 and a half years, i have been renting a house with my partner and paying my debts as well as living has spiralled out of control. Im in a mess! I started using credit to live on (which i dont anymore) and i have been contacting my creditors to arrange lower payments. They have been helpful, but now i find i am struggling to meet the lower payments. I work full time but i never get any of my earnings to myself. They go straight to my debts (when i can afford to pay them) and living costs.

I spend most of my time in tears worrying about the way things are going. I have, this evening, made first contact with CCCS via PM on so im hoping they can help and thought id make a post in the mean time. I am also 6 months pregnant and this stress and depression cant be good for my baby. I panic about how im going to afford to support her when she arrives!!

I dont feel my situation is bad enough to go bankrupt or similar. How do i arrange a DMP? Do you think it is the right option for me?

Thanks for all your help

Comments

• Numpty_Monkey
    Numpty_Monkey Posts: 14,196 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think you've done the right thing:T
    contacting CCCS is a very brave but probably one of the best things you could have done:A

If you need a DMP CCCS will sort most of it for you but they are on your side so don't be frightened or worried about them

If you want a look at CCCS try their website, and have a look at the Debt remedy
    CCCS

the best thing you could have done was join here:A
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
    Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying :o . Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: & :( for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
    xx
    DFD 5/1/16
  • thank you :)

what do i do in the meantime while im sorting things out with CCCS?
    I still have a few creditors to pay this month but no money to pay them :( not sure what to do :o
  • If you've no money to pay them then you can't, it sounds simple but it is the truth

Make sure you cancel any direct debits to them

If they call tell them that you have no money to pay them and you are awatng an appointment with CCCS
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
    Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying :o . Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: & :( for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
    xx
    DFD 5/1/16
  • reaver
    reaver Posts: 93 Forumite
    Emz1987 wrote: »
    thank you :)

I still have a few creditors to pay this month but no money to pay them :( not sure what to do :o

Emz, I have my first payment going to CCCS on 1st March and have sent token payments to my creditors for February as I had Council Tax arrears to pay this month. I sent off Postal Orders for £1 with a covering letter explaining that it was all I could afford this month while the DMP was being set up with CCCS.
    DWF Nerd number 1118
    LBM 13/01/2009, debts £29100.00 appx. Debts at [STRIKE]04/05/2011 = £22000.00[/STRIKE]22/05/2013 = £17500.00.
    Status: umbrella bank account set up 16/01/2009, CCCS agreement signed and posted 19/01/2009, DMP first payment 01/03/2009
  • Emz1987 wrote: »
    thank you :)

Aww hun, please don't worry about it. Six months pregnant is stressful enough as it is.
    Send a letter to them offering a token payment for this month of a £1 if you can't afford that, then just fill in the online debt remedy plan and it will give you a cccs number. Contact your creditors with that number and say you are setting up a DMP with cccs.

Welcome to the boards and keep posting we can offer you lots of tips and advice. There are also other boards which will help you make the most of your situation and that you are claiming everything you are entitled to. Things will get better and if you pop on the daily thread you will see there are a few ladies who are also due to produce DFW babies..you will be in good company.:D

BOB x
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Firstly - I'm 6 months pregnant too so welcome to hormone city! :)
    Right - personally I'd let them know that you have hit financial troubles and you are going to be going with CCCS - a lot of creditors will work with you a lot easier if you tell them upfront that you are in trouble and you have already sought help with someone as industry recognised as CCCS (or payplan and CAB :) ). They may hassle you because you can't pay them, if they do let us know and we can give you the letter templates for requesting they only contact you by letter and not phone and what action to take if they don't :)
    Every time you have a question come and post it on your thread and I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you and offer support :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Ah the lovely BOB has already posted :) Hey BOB :wave:
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • MrsTine wrote: »
    Ah the lovely BOB has already posted :) Hey BOB :wave:

Woohoo Mrs.T:D
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • Hi Everyone!
    Thanks for your helpful replies. I contacted CCCS on here, how long does it normally take to respond?

In the meantime, i want to do what you suggested and offer token payments to the creditors ive not paid yet. Can i do this in letter form? If so, what should i say in my letter?

If CCCS decide that a DMP is for me, how long does it take to set up? Could really do with getting it all sorted before the baby arrives. Fed up of having no money to spend on the baby! :(
  • lxpeanut
    lxpeanut Posts: 8,728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It can take a couple of days for them to get back to you on here. Phone them or go to their website and fill out their debt remedy form you'll get advice much quicker.
    "You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts" - Arthur Schlesinger

Proud to be have dealt with my debt :D Debt Free Sept 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport