PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House Buying in Scotland - Help!

Options
Hi,

I've just put in a verbal offer for a house that was previously on at offers over but recently changed to a fixed price. My offer was 10% below the fixed price.

The estate agent said she would speak to the seller but that she knew that it would definitely be a no as the fixed price was the minimum they would accept. She called back 5 mins later and said that they said no way. She didn't propose a counter offer at all.

They house needs a fair bit of work (new kitchen, bathroom, plastering) and has been for sale for about 10 weeks. A very similar house in the same street, which was in a better condition, sold for the amount that I have offered in December and so I think its a fair offer.

My question is, do you think that the EA's response is a tactic to make me think that my offer is ridiculous and to increase it or do you think that its a genuine "no way" and they won't come back to me?

Thanks!

Comments

• IveSeenTheLight
    Options
    Hmmmmmmm, in Scotland offers are put via solicitors, not EA's

Irrespective of tactics, you made an offer and it was rejected.
    You have the choice to increase or walk away.
    Time will tell if they get an offer they are looking for or come back to you if you dont increase.

Would be good if you can post a link for us all to see the property
    :wall:
    What we've got here is....... failure to communicate.
    Some men you just can't reach.
  • LB25
    LB25 Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks - I know that offers are usually submitted via solicitors but I spoke to the EA on an informal basis to try to guage their reaction before making it official.
  • hearts
    hearts Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    Options
    LB25 wrote: »
    Thanks - I know that offers are usually submitted via solicitors but I spoke to the EA on an informal basis to try to guage their reaction before making it official.

Unless you put the offer through your Solicitor they will just think you are a chancer. If you are serious about the property put in an offer through the proper channels.
  • LB25
    LB25 Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Ok thanks. I'll do that then!
  • zone
    zone Posts: 249 Forumite
    Options
    If the vendor really is stuck on a fixed price then yes your lower offer will be rejected. But 10% below asking price isnt much so you have a good chance. How much is it on for?
  • vegasvisitor
    Options
    I am not sure if the other posters here are in Scotland, but I think EA offers are becoming more common. We did that recently. However, bear in mind that as other posters have said, it will also depend on the views of a seller, their solicitor, estate agent etc on whether they will take it seriously. Presumably the EA who is selling encouraged you to do this? That is how ours happened and we were told it would be accepted and then it actually wasn't (not on price, just on clauses which were also stated when it was done verbally through EA). We later found that the offer was never actually put to the seller! So be careful. Maybe you should sit it out for a bit if you think there's no other offers etc? Depends how keen you are.
  • IveSeenTheLight
    Options
    lesley74 wrote: »
    We later found that the offer was never actually put to the seller!

If you put in an offer through the official channels they are legally obliged to put the offer to the client.

If you choose not to do things officially however you could end up as you case I guess
  • hearts
    hearts Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    Options
    I am not sure if the other posters here are in Scotland, but I think EA offers are becoming more common. We did that recently. However, bear in mind that as other posters have said, it will also depend on the views of a seller, their solicitor, estate agent etc on whether they will take it seriously. Presumably the EA who is selling encouraged you to do this? That is how ours happened and we were told it would be accepted and then it actually wasn't (not on price, just on clauses which were also stated when it was done verbally through EA). We later found that the offer was never actually put to the seller! So be careful. Maybe you should sit it out for a bit if you think there's no other offers etc? Depends how keen you are.

I am in Scotland. An offer put to an estate agent, no matter how well intentioned is not treated as a serious offer. There are procedures in place, they have been there for a long time and they work well.
    The reason your "offer" wasn't passed on was simple. It wasn't an offer.
    Think about it and you will understand why.
  • vegasvisitor
    Options
    Well, it's more complicated than that, why it wasn't passed on. It was actually passed to the seller of the house that the seller wanted to buy. I think that's underhand and wrong, and I only found out because I decided to call the seller to ask if we could pop round for another look. Meanwhile they were unaware there was any interest after our viewing, so it was rather odd. The estate agent did say to us that we could make a verbal offer via them so that we could establish a price etc before seeing a lawyer.

Hearts, although I totally see where you are coming from, we were encouraged by the Estate Agent that this was the way things were going in the market, and they advised us to initially make a verbal offer through them. I suspect it was a bit sneaky etc, but we'll just have to see how things pan out now. It could well be that a particular chain of estate agents like to work this way. The one I dealt with are in a chain, and other branches may be encouraging this too. I do agree it's possibly not the best way to go, and in our experience it was just stressful.

Meanwhile we're still unable to complete as we've not sold, but the market does seem to be picking up from our view - we have 2 viewers this week.
  • IveSeenTheLight
    Options
    Well, it's more complicated than that, why it wasn't passed on. It was actually passed to the seller of the house that the seller wanted to buy. I think that's underhand and wrong, and I only found out because I decided to call the seller to ask if we could pop round for another look. Meanwhile they were unaware there was any interest after our viewing, so it was rather odd. The estate agent did say to us that we could make a verbal offer via them so that we could establish a price etc before seeing a lawyer.

Hearts, although I totally see where you are coming from, we were encouraged by the Estate Agent that this was the way things were going in the market, and they advised us to initially make a verbal offer through them. I suspect it was a bit sneaky etc, but we'll just have to see how things pan out now. It could well be that a particular chain of estate agents like to work this way. The one I dealt with are in a chain, and other branches may be encouraging this too. I do agree it's possibly not the best way to go, and in our experience it was just stressful.

Meanwhile we're still unable to complete as we've not sold, but the market does seem to be picking up from our view - we have 2 viewers this week.

I recommend you put your offers in officially via a solicitor and you will not have these issues
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family