🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

ESA And Free School Meals

Options
Hello - OH has claimed ESA that they have awarded to him as a couple.

Anyway, I cannot work out whether we can get free school meals with it. I understand that Income Related you can, but contribution related you cannot claim.

I do no know which he gets. I am looking at his letter infront of me stating that they are pleased to tell you we can pay Employment and Support Allowance - but there are no indications as to which sort.

On the last page, where it tells you how its been worked out, it says:

This payment of Employment and Support Allowance is based on your National Insurance Contribution record and any additional amount the law says you need to live on. We call this contribution-based and income related Employment and Support Allowance.

So can someone please help as to which is he getting?? :confused:

Comments

• cher1977
    cher1977 Posts: 961 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    as far as i know Incapacity which is what i get does not get me free school meals for my son as its not on the form that you have to fill out. I get free school meals for him on the basis that i have child tax credit and get under 15.400 a year so am on a low income.
    you will not get it if you get working tax credit either. hope this helps?
    :p
  • zappster1966
    Options
    Sounds like he's receiving both the contributory & income related elements of ESA, in which case free school meals should be OK. Maybe best to phone the benefit office just to check how it's made up.
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    In this tax year OH has earnt more than the £15575 limit so cannot get it for a low income and CTC.

And the forms I have from the school were put together by our council in May 2008 and ESA is obviously not on it either, although their website states otherwise!
  • skylight
    Options
    Sounds like he's receiving both the contributory & income related elements of ESA, in which case free school meals should be OK. Maybe best to phone the benefit office just to check how it's made up.

Would you believe he is still on hold trying to talk to them?!!!:cool: He has been hung up on twice and currently not a happy bunny - and its not a geographic number so not included in my free minutes. :rolleyes:

Think he is about to give up and try again later.
  • zappster1966
    Options
    They're open until 5pm, if that's any consolation. Most benefit delivery centres only have a couple of dedicated ESA phone lines at the mo', should improve over the months ahead, doesn't do you much good right now though.
  • holistic_witch
    Options
    each school authourity has a dedicated free school meals telephone helpline. Look under that then do a search. If you need landline numbers don't forget say no to
  • bigbill
    bigbill Posts: 928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If he gets £60.50 weekly no if more than that then yes.
  • skylight
    Options
    Right - our local council is the school authority and the number is not listed on their website - its painfully out of date. You can download a meals form on the website that was last updated in Aug 2007..... (The form I got from the school is dated May 2008!)

But OH gets £94.95 a week for the both of us so that should be AOK then.

Thanks for your help!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family