Can anyone recommend a restaurant in Cardiff for a 30th birthday?

Welshlassie
Welshlassie Posts: 1,731
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
I'm the big 3 0 in a month or so and want to go out for a meal with friends, guessing there may be around 20-30 of us. We've been to Great China in Whitchurch Road a few times, but I want to try somewhere different? Can anyone recommend somewhere? :confused: I'm open to most types of food so spoil me for choice!!!

Comments

• TJ27
    TJ27 Posts: 741 Forumite
    I often go to El Puerto, on the Penarth side of the barrage. Downstairs is great, or go upstairs if you want to push the boat out.
  • The Bay would probably be your best option. You can choose from chinese, american, italian etc. Pearl of the Orient is a chinese restaurant and is excellent. Enjoy your birthday.
    If dogs don't go to heaven, then I want to go where they go. :A
  • The Thai House on Churchill Way is amazing.
    http://www.thaihouse.biz/
    Also, a bloke I used to know who sold waste compactors said they were the cleanest kitchens he'd ever been in.
  • Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,803
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    TJ27 wrote: »
    I often go to El Puerto, on the Penarth side of the barrage. Downstairs is great, or go upstairs if you want to push the boat out.

Went there once for my birthday about two years ago and was very disappointed. Food was OK but service appalling.
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
  • Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,803
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Haven't been there for a while but thought of this for the experience

http://www.theanchorhotel.co.uk/Location.htm

Great for large groups as you'll spend so much time talking to everyone while you're getting your food, not just the people sitting nearest to you.
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
  • TJ27
    Mark7799 wrote: »
    Went there once for my birthday about two years ago and was very disappointed. Food was OK but service appalling.

I know what you mean. You have to go up and order at the counter rather than have everything done for you. If you've got a large group this can be a real pain. I think the service generally is a bit variable.

I once went upstairs and must have looked a bit under dressed. The chap on the door asked me, "Are you sure you can afford to dine here sir?". Cheeky git! Anyway I answered by saying, "I'm not sure. How overpriced are you?"
  • TJ27
    Mark7799 wrote: »
    Haven't been there for a while but thought of this for the experience

http://www.theanchorhotel.co.uk/Location.htm

Great for large groups as you'll spend so much time talking to everyone while you're getting your food, not just the people sitting nearest to you.

Yeah, I lived in Ton for a while and used to go there quite often. It's worth a visit and is good fun. I was once very ill after filling myself with shellfish there though.
  • Jonbvn
    Jonbvn Posts: 5,562
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The Thai House on Churchill Way is amazing.
    http://www.thaihouse.biz/
    Also, a bloke I used to know who sold waste compactors said they were the cleanest kitchens he'd ever been in.

Thanks for posting this. Me & OH love Thai food. We mostly go to the Thai Edge in the brewery quarter. Having a look at the Thai House website, we will be paying a visit next weeked!
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:
  • xx_Jo_xx
    xx_Jo_xx Posts: 2,858
    Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    We are currently orgainsing a Hen Night for a friend and the Park Plaza have offered us a set menu of £25 per person which I thought was quite reasonable for the menu!

It looks and sounds really good, but dont know what number they will go up to,plus I havent been there before so cant comment on service etc.

May be worth considering but initally the price was pretty good for us, cos we wanted to be in the centre!

Good luck and have a fab birthday x
    :)Sometimes lurking, sometimes posting, but always flying:)
    You are supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake! - The Holiday
    DFW :idea: August 2013... Debt total £15,475.56 - Jan 15 £11,738.66 - DEBT FREE by 2015
    Feb GC £48.02/£250 (£201.98)
    :D I will declutter my house and debts :D
  • lolly_896
    lolly_896 Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    There's La Lupa in Canton - Italian V. Nice Always have a lovely service

The latest one we went to was a very small italian on Cowbride Rd, Canton opposite console tanning shop, Next door the horrid pub on the corner (Cant for the life of me think what it was called but we had a stunning meal and they allowed us to bring our own wine
    DFW Nerd #awaiting number - Proud to be dealing with my debts!

Dont cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Sealed Pot Challenge #781
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport