We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Free MOT for Audi

Options
2»

Comments

• Shatners_Bassoon
    Options
    Like all Audi Stealers they will rip you off. Not taken advantage of this myself it's going to my independent all the time.
  • blued
    blued Posts: 698 Forumite
    Options
    I think its a good idea to use it as a free pre MOT inspection. Find out what it fails on, take the car away and do the work yourself or get your normal garage to do it. Then take the car for a test at your normal garage and pay their normal price instead of Audi's no doubt inflated retest cost.
  • Sid_Harper
    Sid_Harper Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    I was thinking if I take it in to get MOT'd and it fails then I wouldnt be able to drive it etc and would be worse off.

But surely you take it in as early as possible where the MOT extension is permitted (a month earlier, I believe) so that even if it fails, you have a valid certificate for a month.

That's how I remember it at my last MoT anyway...
    The thanks button is here to the right. If you find a post saves you money, gives you useful information, or you agree with it, take a second to thank the poster! :)
    >>>
  • Shaanbles
    Options
    I'm being sceptical here but I hope you don't get shafted by Audi dealers (100+vat/hour labour) who go thru the MOT checklist a tad too thoroughly and failing you for anything

To be fair to them I had it MOT'ed at Audi in Camberley last year and they were great - taking it back again there this year. BUT if it does fail then yes I'll take it elsewhere for a re-test!
  • Shaanbles
    Options
    Thanks Shaanbles, I would be grateful if you could let me know. I had the car MOT'ed in December, but I would like the MOT to fall at a different time as it is currently for a week before xmas :eek:

I was thinking if I take it in to get MOT'd and it fails then I wouldnt be able to drive it etc and would be worse off.

Will do - taking it in 8am Tues so will report back tues evening.
  • Shaanbles
    Options
    OK, so just back from Audi in Camberley. They were fine with taking the voucher when I got there although he did say that they take the hit for it and that Audi UK don't reimburse them; he said it was supposed to help bring in new business. He said he knew it was running for a few more months - but didn't know when it finished. Would advise printing the form off now and phoning your own local Audi centre and asking them if you can book now for a few months time.

I had 4 new tyres put on it yesterday as I knew they needed doing; the car is only 4 years old so I honestly didn't expect it to fail - but it did! It failed on one of the front headlamps aiming too high! I questioned how this could happen and got told it was just one of those things that can happen over time due to vibrations.

I was dreading that I would then also have to pay for a re-test but because of the type of failure it only requires a partial re-test and there is no fee so long as the vehicle is not removed from the testing station; if you remove it but re-test within 10 days then a partial fee is payable (didn't ask how much).

Net result it cost me £27 in labour for them to fix it there and then. Would advise anyone who uses this to check the costs of a partial re-test versus those of getting the problem fixed elsewhere.

So for £27 I now have a valid MOT and a clean car! Not too bad a result ;).

Hope it works out for everyone else.

Shaanbles :p
  • blued
    blued Posts: 698 Forumite
    Options
    Most MOT centres will fix a headlamp aim for free! It takes minutes. You're still a winner though because an MOT would have cost about £50 elsewhere.
  • Shaanbles
    Options
    blued wrote: »
    Most MOT centres will fix a headlamp aim for free! It takes minutes. You're still a winner though because an MOT would have cost about £50 elsewhere.

Yes but would they clean and hoover the car for free :rolleyes:. But you're right had to been anything more serious I would have lost out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 237K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure