fascia and soffits

Options
Hi just been given a qoute of 1200 quid for replacing the fascia and soffits on the side and front of my dormer semi detached.
The qoute is for 26 metres of white plastic fascia,soffits,guttering,downspouts and dry verges.
Cheers
Damian

Comments

• cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just paid £900 to have mine done by local firm who did the windows & doors, in rosewood to match, front and back of detached bungalow included gutters and downspouts, gable ends have no fascias.
  • thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    that will be for covering over the original which is a waste of time and money .
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • damoderby wrote: »
    Hi just been given a qoute of 1200 quid for replacing the fascia and soffits on the side and front of my dormer semi detached.
    The qoute is for 26 metres of white plastic fascia,soffits,guttering,downspouts and dry verges.
    Cheers
    Damian

Are you sure thats replacing the old boards?
  • bigdoozer
    Options
    jury is still out on removing old wood before adding pvcu. Some is favour of using existing soffits and bargeboards to support PVC. (Pvc has limited rigidity and can warp on south facing sides.) This is cheaper as there is less preparation. If wood has lasted 40+ years, PVCu will almost definetaly fade and become brittle in 10-15. PVCu is NOT the ultimate replacement and mainly a cosmetic alternative. £1200 for 26 mtrs, 2-3 men, van and PL insurance, fuel, profit (some companies actually want to make a profit as well as a wage), seems very cheap to me !!!!!!!!
  • thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    bigdoozer wrote: »
    jury is still out on removing old wood before adding pvcu. Some is favour of using existing soffits and bargeboards to support PVC. (Pvc has limited rigidity and can warp on south facing sides.) This is cheaper as there is less preparation. If wood has lasted 40+ years, PVCu will almost definetaly fade and become brittle in 10-15. PVCu is NOT the ultimate replacement and mainly a cosmetic alternative. !

would you paint over rust on your car ? if not then why cover over rotten timbers we do 19mm jumbo board all all our installations and dont cover over .this is our 20th year and hand on heart we have had one job thats discoloured and that was a product called conker brown (colour)fascias that being over 8 years ago the product was supplied foc by swish our supplier this product is no longer made.upvc boards can be had in anything above 16mm for total replacement
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    a6windows wrote: »
    would you paint over rust on your car ? if not then why cover over rotten timbers

No but I respray cars with dents and after accidents when the metal is sound, if the timber is rotten fair enough but why not cover timber that is perfectly sound if there is no rot. :confused:
  • thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    cajef wrote: »
    No but I respray cars with dents and after accidents when the metal is sound, if the timber is rotten fair enough but why not cover timber that is perfectly sound if there is no rot. :confused:

because to the ill advised like yourself the timber fascias on a lot of properties actually rots from the inside ie roofing felt damaged and allows water in .covering the fascia then makes it rot quicker because any moisture has no way to escape and if this gets into your main roof timbers will cause major structural damage
  • Rosebery_2
    Options
    Another aspect is that after you've finished covering it all up the guttering doesn't fit back properly.
  • Mac1977
    Mac1977 Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    a6windows wrote: »
    because to the ill advised like yourself the timber fascias on a lot of properties actually rots from the inside ie roofing felt damaged and allows water in .covering the fascia then makes it rot quicker because any moisture has no way to escape and if this gets into your main roof timbers will cause major structural damage

I've had one quote for removing timber and replacing with PVC. Have 10m length front and back of semi detached, plus 10m rise at the side, if you see what I mean. Been quoted £2460. We do have a damp smell in the loft and when gutters were cleared recently the guy asked if we had damp problems, so he obvioulsy saw something up there!

Does this seem reasonable? What am I looking for in a quote - been told on another thread that there should be a minimum thickness for the PVC used.
  • thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    are you saying you have 10m at front and 10m at back or do front and back add up to 10m
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure