We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

I left my job, then they made people redundant

I handed in my notice at work just before Christmas. In the New Year I was told that I had to work 7 weeks notice because of my time spent with the company but because they company was not busy I was told I could leave straight away, so I worked until the 14th Jan then left. On the 19th Jan I learnt that the company had made about 15 people redundant, so is that just bad luck on my behalf or should the company have informed me of their plans and was that why they were so happy to see me go asap?

Comments

  • Halloway
    Halloway Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    It's bad luck on your part. Handing in your notice prior to redundancy (or consultation) being announced means that you have no redundancy rights whatsoever.

    They will be happy to see you go as they won't have to pay you any redundancy (assuming that you are entitled to some). Did they pay you for the notice period you did not work?
  • They paid me until the end of the working month, 26th Jan, and gave me 2 days holiday entitlement. If I had worked my notice I'd have finished around the 13th Feb.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.