IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

HELP!! Is my Standard Charge Ticket legal?

Options
Hi there, I got a Standard Charge Ticket on my windscreen on Saturday (7th Feb) from Walsall Council. I've found out that this council isn't part of the Civil parking scheme so I'm assuming that they have given me a 'criminal' notice. It's under the Road Traffic Regulations Act 1984 legislation and was issued to me in a pay and display car park. The penalty is £60.00 reducing to £20.00 if I pay up within 14 days.

Does the wording have to be the same as that that applies to PCN's? I've checked and double checked this ticket and no where on it states that....'if the penalty charge is not paid before the end of the 28 day period a Notice to Owner may be served by the local authority on the owner of the car.' I know this has to be included on a PCN but is it the same for Standard Charge Tickets issued by the councils who aren't classed as 'civil'?

It also doesn't state...'That if your formal appeal is made on time but is rejected, that you can appeal to an adjudicator.'

Everything else needed on a PCN seems to be there tho.

Would I be able to argue that my Standard Charge Ticket was improperly issued?

By the way.... I'm disputing it on another point too, that it was unfairly issued, but it wouldn't hurt to be able to say it shouldn't be valid anyway!!

Any help would be really appreciated as my 14 day window to appeal is ticking away fast!!

Twisterella :)

Comments

• peter_the_piper
    Options
    Usual advice is to pay if its not a decriminalised ticket. Wait for Neil for certain though.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport