My hammer website

Options
has anyone used the website myhammer.co.uk for placing a "wanted" ad for a tradesman to do some work? I would be intersted in what other people have experienced as I am trying to find a builder to re-build the front wall (1930s cottage brick type) and to repair the stairs (thanks to the other half's herd of elephants impression). I don't have any personal recommendations to follow and was wondering if anyone else had used this website. I am in Manchester.
But I'm going to say this once, and once only, Gene. Stay out of Camberwick Green :D

Comments

• jockster211
    Options
    Hiya

I've watched the Myhammer website with interest as a tradesman. All I can tell you is that the bidding is open to public viewing, so from what I've seen interested trademen bid down the job based on what they've seen others bidding.

Not sure if this means you get the best tradesman or just the cheapest. I suspect its just the latter.

I prefer the mybuilder.co.uk site, bids are private to you only so you can then ask questions/enter into dialogue with whomever you prefer.

Jockster
    Nothing is easy........'til you find out how!
  • Rage_in_Eden
    Options
    Ta chuck!:D
    But I'm going to say this once, and once only, Gene. Stay out of Camberwick Green :D
  • Scottie_dog_2
    Options
    Also try http://www.ratedpeople.com/
    Put your job in and builders will call you for a quote - you can see their ratings put up by others who have used them
  • Steve_the_fitter
    Options
    Im on www.trustatrader.com. (as a kitchen fitter) I think with this website you have a lot more chance of not getting cowboys in as every tradesman has to be vetted to get on the site
  • Rage_in_Eden
    Options
    :coffee: I'm sending you all virtual cuppas for the info :D Ta!
  • sparky883
    Options
    Dont forget tradesmen pay these sites if they are awarded your job or just to get your details.
    So who do you think pays for this in the end? Its free for customers,But is it?
    OH THE JOYS OF BEING SELF-EMPLOYED!! Can Travel,Will Work For Free!
  • Scottie_dog_2
    Options
    sparky883 wrote: »
    Dont forget tradesmen pay these sites if they are awarded your job or just to get your details.
    So who do you think pays for this in the end? Its free for customers,But is it?

On rated people they have to pay £30 to bid for your job.
    Which is fair enough.
    The rates are going down as people are comparing bids - so it's a good thing for the consumer - and they have a real incentive to do a good job for you apart from job satisfaction - that you will rate them highly and therefore they get more work - everyone's a winner!
  • sparky883
    Options
    How is everyone a winner-When i just put your quote up £30 to cover the fee to the site,And also you assume i am the best of the best,And therefore are willing to pay more to start with! You get 3 quotes from "rated tradesmen" and all of them will be thinking along the same lines.
  • Scottie_dog_2
    Options
    sparky883 wrote: »
    How is everyone a winner-When i just put your quote up £30 to cover the fee to the site,And also you assume i am the best of the best,And therefore are willing to pay more to start with! You get 3 quotes from "rated tradesmen" and all of them will be thinking along the same lines.

You don't really know if everyone is adding £30 to their fee - in my experience people are dropping their prices at the moment to get the work, which is scarce, and knowing that others are bidding, you're unlikely to put your price up if you want the job.
    The people I've used from 'rated people' have all been good and their rates reasonable - in any case - I would be willing to pay £30 extra knowing that I'm going to get a decent tradesman rather than an unknown I got from the yellow pages, who I've no idea will do a good job or be a rip off.
    Also he has no incentive to be do a good job (apart from his own job satisfaction) as his next customer wouldn't know about it - this way I can tell if his previous customers are happy.
  • sparky883
    Options
    The tradesmen using these sites are also in Yellow Pages etc They use these sites when they are not busy,If you have a good experience with them i wish you all the best.But i bet although you think you have had value for money,I'm not so sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure