We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
At risk - what is a 'suitable alternative job'?
zeetha
Posts: 23 Forumite
Hi all,
After 16 years with my company (only job I've ever had), I was told last Thursday that I'm 'at risk' and after one more meeting this week, I'll find out this coming Thursday what the final decision will be. I've tried to read up on all the ins and outs but I'm a bit confused about the possibility that they could offer an alternative job and if I reject it I might lose my redundancy if they deem it a suitable alternative.
I know its hard without specifics, but would it be reasonable for me to refuse going to a shortened week or a lower paid job if it wasn't then financial viable for me?
Thanks for any help anyone can give me, and good luck to everyone - its a scary time!
Z
After 16 years with my company (only job I've ever had), I was told last Thursday that I'm 'at risk' and after one more meeting this week, I'll find out this coming Thursday what the final decision will be. I've tried to read up on all the ins and outs but I'm a bit confused about the possibility that they could offer an alternative job and if I reject it I might lose my redundancy if they deem it a suitable alternative.
I know its hard without specifics, but would it be reasonable for me to refuse going to a shortened week or a lower paid job if it wasn't then financial viable for me?
Thanks for any help anyone can give me, and good luck to everyone - its a scary time!
Z
0
Comments
-
Copied from the BERR site
Offer of renewed or new employment
An employer may offer an employee re-engagement, either in the old job or in different but apparently suitable work, before the end of the protected period. An employee who refuses such an offer without good reason will lose the right to payment for the rest of the protected period.
Right to a trial period
An employee who accepts an offer of alternative work is allowed a trial period to see if the work is really suitable. For the purposes of calculating continuity of employment this trial period is regarded as starting from when the employee’s old job ends even where there is in fact a gap between jobs. The trial period will normally continue for four weeks after the employee starts work but may be extended by agreement between employer and employee in order to retrain the employee for the new work. Employees who leave their work with good reason or who are dismissed (for example because they are unable to carry out the duties of the new work or the training) during the trial period retain their rights to payment under the protective award. If, however, they give up the work or training without adequate reason or the employer dismisses them fairly for reasons unconnected with the changed terms of employment - misconduct, for example - they will lose their right to payment for the rest of the protected period.
Extension of trial period for retraining
The trial period may be extended to retrain the employee for the new work, by agreement between the employer and the employee. Such agreements must be made before the employee starts the new work; must be in writing; and must specify the date that the trial period ends and terms and conditions of employment that will apply after that date.
Employees have a right to a trial period if they start a different job with their employer at any time during the protected period and it makes no difference whether the employer offers them work before or after the end of the old job.PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
DFD 5/1/16Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying
. Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: &
for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
xx0 -
Hi,
Thanks for the prompt reply. I was hoping that somebody might have an idea on what 'suitable alternative work' might be, but I guess I'm just going to have to wait and see what happens!
Thanks again,
Z0 -
What do you want, a job or a redundancy payout? That affects the level of give & take.
Generally speaking
Same location, or similar travel distance or extra travel costs paid
Same salary
Same hours
Similar work, that's the tricky one & it depends what you trade is & what your contract says0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards