We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling car/changing insurance company whilst claim is being processed

Options
My other half had a very minor accident with another car before Christmas, which we thought nothing of as there was no damage apparent to either vehicles. However, the other party have now contacted us via insurance company (who knows what for!) so we are now in the process of a sort-of claim, even though we are not claiming ourselves.

At the same time, we are likely to sell our car in a few weeks time and maybe move insurance companies too. Does it matter that we currently have an open claim, will this have any impact on our ability to move insurance companies (apart from now needing to answer any questions from the new company appropriately)?

This may be a silly question but it is my first experience of the claims process after 12 years of driving :( .

Thanks

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would suggest you take photographs of where the "Impact on your car was" before you sell it so if your Insurance company want this to help them defend the claim you have it.

You cannot change insurance company during the insurance year you have a claim, if you do they will require you to pay the rest of the insurance years instalments up until the renewal date.

All you need to do is swap the new car onto your new policy up until the renewal date and pay any difference
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport